Update for all of you New Life Spectrum Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
That's what it was King, I didn't really look at the formula when I first posted it. I was just using it as a reference.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I ve used Xtreme for about 2 years now and its good food. I've been feeding NLS for about 2 months though and I find it stays together a little better. Losta broken pellet dust in the Xtreme containers and none in the NLS.

Im wasting less with NLS, but now with the price increase......hmm

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Before everyone loses their mind, stop and consider the following.

New Life hasn't had a price increase for as far back as I recall, yet prices on their various raw ingredients have climbed steadily every year. Ironically I just posted this the other day on MFK .....

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?557769-Best-and-Worst-ingredient-lists

Over the past decade the cost of fish meal has risen almost 300%, with this year looking at another forecasted increase of 18%. And that's just one raw ingredient. Eventually something has to give, and either a manufacturer increases their wholesale prices to reflect their increased costs, or they look at ways to lower their cost, such as decreasing the inclusion rate of higher cost raw ingredients (such as fish meal, krill meal, squid meal, etc) and increasing lower cost raw ingredients such as corn, rice, wheat, oats, potatoes, soybeans, etc.

The problem with increasing costs in todays economy is that many consumers will simply seek out lower cost alternatives (many already are) as everyone has a personal breaking point on how much they are going to spend on their pet fish - so often it becomes the lesser of two evils, and the manufacturer opts for lower cost alternative ingredients, such as wheat middlings. Keep in mind that very few manufacturers actually make their own food, so most are at the mercy of what the feed mills charge for their ingredients. Even for those that do actually handle their food from start to finish, they too are at the mercy of the bulk suppliers, those manufacturers simply have better buying power.

http://www.undercurrentnews.com/2013/01/30/fishmeal-prices-up-285-since-2001/
and .......

Some manufacturers that are thinking ahead of the curve are already looking at alternatives, or supplements to marine proteins and marine fatty acids by including more natural aquatic plant matter (as compared to terrestrial based grains) such as various forms of algae with protein levels in the 50-60% range, and lipid content in the 15-20% range. (on a dry matter basis) These types of aquatic plant matter offer a better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio than corn, soybean, etc, and are more natural to the digestion system of a fish. IMO this is the way of the future, not boosting cereal levels in a food designed for aquatic organisms. Plenty of research in this area has already been taking place over the years.

From algae ingredients one can also benefit by also utilizing some of these raw ingredients as binding agents, thereby decreasing more traditional binding agents such as wheat flour. It's a win-win for everyone involved, the manufacturer, the consumer, and most importantly the fish.

I bet that rep of your rep failed to mention any of this, Bobby?

New Life no longer uses any form of soy in their food, they have increased the inclusion rate of both krill and herring in their food, and they have reduced the terrestrial based plant matter (wheat flour) in all of their formulas by utilizing algae as a partial binding agent. Now factor in another year of rising costs for raw ingredients. So while ounce for ounce the cost has gone up a bit, IMO the amount one should need to feed has dropped. Simple equation really, better overall digestibility, better feed conversion ratio = feeding less. So at the end of the day how much more is this really costing consumers, if anything?

I've tried Xtreme, they went the other route to keep costs down. Wheat flour, Ground Wheat, Soybean meal, Rice meal, etc.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Before everyone loses their mind, stop and consider the following.

New Life hasn't had a price increase for as far back as I recall, yet prices on their various raw ingredients have climbed steadily every year. Ironically I just posted this the other day on MFK .....

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?557769-Best-and-Worst-ingredient-lists

and .......

I bet that rep of your rep failed to mention any of this, Bobby?

New Life no longer uses any form of soy in their food, they have increased the inclusion rate of both krill and herring in their food, and they have reduced the terrestrial based plant matter (wheat flour) in all of their formulas by utilizing algae as a partial binding agent. Now factor in another year of rising costs for raw ingredients. So while ounce for ounce the cost has gone up a bit, IMO the amount one should need to feed has dropped. Simple equation really, better overall digestibility, better feed conversion ratio = feeding less. So at the end of the day how much more is this really costing consumers, if anything?

I've tried Xtreme, they went the other route to keep costs down. Wheat flour, Ground Wheat, Soybean meal, Rice meal, etc.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
Didn't mention any of that to be honest. Just posted as a topic for discussion. As long as you're getting something for it, then it may not be so bad. But that's one hell of a price swing.

Besides, I'm in the automotive world. I buy things for cheap at first, make them cheaper over the contract and then lock pricing for the life of the platform. No such thing as a price increase. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Of course he didn't, because chances are he didn't know most of that, or probably care. For a starter it wasn't 5lb's being reduced to 4lb's, so he didn't even get that right. And as previously mentioned by another poster a number of NLS buckets were already below 5lb's, some have been since the very beginning. The Mega Fish 10mm formula is sold in the same bucket, but it's sold at 1875 grams, not 2270 (5lb's). It sounds like the new bucket sizes for some formulas will now be 1995 grams, instead of 2270 grams. I could scoop 300 grams of food out of every bucket before it was sold, and I would be willing to bet that not a single person here would notice.

And while one loses slightly in volume, they will gain a lot nutrient wise. I guess what people have to ask themselves is if they want their fishes protein to come from soybean meal, rice meal, etc ------> or from krill, fish, etc?

Besides, I'm in the automotive world. I buy things for cheap at first, make them cheaper over the contract and then lock pricing for the life of the platform. No such thing as a price increase. LOL

That's all good and well, except it doesn't wotk that way in the fish feed world. The feed mills that buy the raw ingredients & produce the food dictate the prices, you don't like, you go take a flying leap. Nothing gets locked in for the life of anything, even for the big boys like Hikari. Most USA based tropical fish food producers generally don't produce enough feed to make a large feed mill look twice. Commercial trout/salmon/catfish/tilapia farms are their bread & butter, not tropical food guys ordering a few tons at a time.

The only way to have any control at all over the price of raw ingredients is to be buying your own ingredients, in volume, and making your own food. Not many food companies can do that due to the enormous cost of setting up a manufacturing facility- New Life only began doing so a couple of years ago - which is why one is now seeing an even higher quality formula than before. They have cut out the middle man, but overall their costs have still increased.

I'm afraid that in this hobby one can't have everything - you either pony up for the better products, or you spend less and settle for lower quality products. Poultry protein anyone?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
yeah, I think a realistic analysis of ingredient percentages between brands would already show a larger measure of fillers in their "4 lbs" than any difference in this cost inflation-based volume reduction in nls buckets.
Due to good posts about Xtreme, I examined the ingredients label... wasn't impressed.
However, I do understand the viewpoint of people feeding huge volumes of large fish (which I don't), and looking for lower prices.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I like NLS price but man does that stuff cloud my water. Because of that I will only my massivore from now
If that's the case you are either over feeding ( easier than I t sounds it very nutrient dense) it feeding too large of a pellet. For example, my 18" umbee gets 3mm and 4.5 mm floating. Anything bigger and he chews it too much creating wasted pellet.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
If that's the case you are either over feeding ( easier than I t sounds it very nutrient dense) it feeding too large of a pellet. For example, my 18" umbee gets 3mm and 4.5 mm floating. Anything bigger and he chews it too much creating wasted pellet.

That's interesting. I have tried using small pellets and they aren't accepted. Like they are too small to bother with.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store