Update for all of you New Life Spectrum Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
If that's the case you are either over feeding ( easier than I t sounds it very nutrient dense) it feeding too large of a pellet. For example, my 18" umbee gets 3mm and 4.5 mm floating. Anything bigger and he chews it too much creating wasted pellet.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I don't think it's overfeeding. I have the biggest pellets and fish are all 20-30" and swallow instantly. Ill throw like 20 pellets in in between raw feedings. The next day my water is not clear. It stinks because those 5lb buckets were a great bargain

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I don't think it's overfeeding. I have the biggest pellets and fish are all 20-30" and swallow instantly. Ill throw like 20 pellets in in between raw feedings. The next day my water is not clear. It stinks because those 5lb buckets were a great bargain
I feed handfuls of the stuff daily in my 1400 and the water never gets cloudy. Nor has it in any other tank I've ever had. Something doesn't seem right.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I see the arguments for nls however I picked up some extreme from a swap meet on a whim and my fish look uust as good and grow just as fast on extreme as they did on nls. The pellets are oblong so its almost like two nls pellets stuck together but its easy to break if you have a couple of small fish and don't want to have multiple sizes. The flakes are actually all flake where as half of nls flakes are barely even crumbs.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I see the arguments for nls however I picked up some extreme from a swap meet on a whim and my fish look uust as good and grow just as fast on extreme as they did on nls. The pellets are oblong so its almost like two nls pellets stuck together but its easy to break if you have a couple of small fish and don't want to have multiple sizes. The flakes are actually all flake where as half of nls flakes are barely even crumbs.
There are several brands that will have the short term results of NLS, it's how much healthier your fish stay years down the road that will separate it from the rest.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Whatever size you want - and I have not seen any cloudiness - it does not even break up when chewed. It's good quality food for cheap - and shipping is where it should be, too.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
That's interesting. I have tried using small pellets and they aren't accepted. Like they are too small to bother with.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Everyone always talked about how their big fish wouldn't take 10mm NLS. I had never tried anything bigger than 4.5mm, I have kept mostly CA cichlids for the last couple years. I grabbed some 10mm off a LFS owner the other day that feeds it to his RTC out of curiosity.

Side note, mice in the garage of my new place ate a ton of my fish food a while back. I was basically left with really small stuff and massivore I had gotten off a friend getting out of the hobby. They had all been eating only massivore for about a month.

So I throw the 10mm in all my tanks, and everyone eats it. 6" cichlids take it. 6" clown loaches take it. No problems at all. This is the old rock hard 10mm too.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
KEN'S FISH FOOD - Less than $25 for a 5 pound bag. Am I missing something here ?
Yes, you're missing quality. In many of Ken's formulas the main ingredient is wheat. No kidding it's less expensive, so are a bag of soda crackers compared to a plate of jumbo prawns.

I've been feeding NLS for over a decade, and never once had a tank get cloudy after feeding. Never seen it take place in anyone elses tank either, including 500+ gallon tanks where handfuls of pellets were being fed to monster fish. It makes absolutely no sense that your tank would be cloudy the following day, after feeding "20" pellets of any brand. I would be inclined more to thinking the water is getting fouled up from the fresh/frozen, not the pellets. Either way it isn't normal if the cloudiness remains the following day.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Everyone always talked about how their big fish wouldn't take 10mm NLS. I had never tried anything bigger than 4.5mm, I have kept mostly CA cichlids for the last couple years. I grabbed some 10mm off a LFS owner the other day that feeds it to his RTC out of curiosity.

Side note, mice in the garage of my new place ate a ton of my fish food a while back. I was basically left with really small stuff and massivore I had gotten off a friend getting out of the hobby. They had all been eating only massivore for about a month.

So I throw the 10mm in all my tanks, and everyone eats it. 6" cichlids take it. 6" clown loaches take it. No problems at all. This is the old rock hard 10mm too.

I'm feeding every fish over 8" the 10mm and they all eat it like crazy. Probably what I use the most of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store