Updates

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I've kept all 3 of those in the past and see them just jamming up my pump lol... why i'm thinking some of the wide leaf plants ect.. anubias and java just don't seem to spread fast enough even as sturdy as they are to keep up with the bashing they get. Maybe I will just try a few different pots of stuff and see what does well and repot the stuff that thrives in the ones that don't.

So fed them another round of my "special smelt" and they went nutters for it. the eye does look better but you can still see the hazing/puffyness =/ so i'll give it 48 hours this time and doo another dose.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Any suggestions for low light plants that would require root tabs only as supplementation? So far I have some Crypts to split from another pot to add, I want to get an amazon sword or 2... but would like to add something like Vallisaria ect? something that will gro to trail along the top for the gar to hide in w/out getting tangled. size isn't really an issue... I just use aquarium gravel in terracotta pots and stick a few tabs in every now and then... I have the room lights on from approx. 9am-9pm ( give or take, hubbys looking into some type of timer for the room) So minimal light and the basement windows are to small to afford overly much light, but the crypts seem to be doing well.
With my floridas I'm currently growing a couple varieties of swords, some crypt balansae, Anubias nana, anubias heterophyla, crinum calamistratum, vals, and some ceratopteris. Most of these can grow fine under lower light levels. I'm not sure how the terracotta pots are working for you but when I tried them they kept getting knocked over constantly by the gars and catfish. I then settled on containers with a flatter bottom to them so they couldn't get knocked over.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Yep! I Use what they call azalea pots they are a wider base shorter height pots.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Went down stairs to do the night feed and try and get some pictures for sol... and I couldn't remember which eye it was at first! lol... I'll take that as a positive sign! by all appearances he looks 100% fine now. We do plan on doing a water change tomorrow.. so we'll see if its the source water as I suspect or not I imagine. The other tank also seems to have made a full recovery as well at this point... this antibiotic works fast.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
100_4746.jpg

hard getting a picture of his eyes.... def harder then getting pics in tanks.... gonna have to figure out something for the future. maybe a clear tote.

100_4746.jpg

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Since it's been awhile... down to the 2 big trops and 3 longnose w/ our 2 big cats.

100_5379.jpg

100_5379.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store