Upgrade #1 4x8x2'

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Max ACR is available on ebay exclusively I think. You may be able to contact polymer products in ontario, california directly.

I got a heavy coat down on the bottom and will put down a third thin coat tomorrow.

I ordered a 55 yard roll of 6" 6oz fiberglass cloth tape, planning 3 layers on the eight foot and four foot seams and two on the short seams. looks like I probably have enough of the Max ACR that I won't have to order more resin but we'll see.

Glass shop hasn't called me and I haven't called them yet to see if my viewing window is here yet. I figure I'm a couple weeks out from mounting it anyway. If they don't call by friday I'll call and check on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
I don't mean to be negative in anyway when I say this. I've seen a few successful builds of people just using acr and a couple of layers of fiberglass mat @ the seams only, but there's also an equal amount of people battling leaks also. I don't think that technique is all that secure for long term reliability. Not to say that it's not possible, but is it's really worth the risk? I did three full layers of fiberglass chop mat & marine grade polyester resin on all sides of my aquarium, overlapping the seams each time. Each of my seams have at least 5 to 6 layers of fiberglass. Though now I think 2 layers would have been enough. My aquarium is practically bullet proof. Keep in mind that polyester resin is not suitable for long term under water submersion and will need to be protected by some other type of waterproofing sealer or epoxy based sealant. Looks good though. I wish you success & look foward to seeing a finished project soon.

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!

uploadfromtaptalk1360047255446.jpg

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Sounds good. Make sure that the silicon you're using will adhere to what ever type of sealer you're using in your aquarium. Don't skimp on the silicon either, use alot of it.

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Progress has been slow. Been working lots of overtime, hitting the gym pretty hard, and spent some time in AZ so I could visit my grandmother in the hospital before she passed away. I have the glass and bulkheads and have started the fiberglass tape on the edges. I gotta clean up the garage a bit and get the stand (cinderblocks and a sheet of foam) set up so I can install the glass with the tank in place. Hopefully test fill will take place within a couple weeks then I'll get the filter set up and get everything up and running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store