Wait... could I get a bluegill?

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Well I'm no hardcore angler but the one in my area seems to have a small but pretty decent fishing section,that is where the bubblers are.I guess they are intended to be used for keeping bait fish alive...The bluegill probably could live its life in a 40 gallon though bigger is always better.They can reach a foot in length though but then I'm not certain if they are relentless cruisers or if they hang in one spot for long periods like a lot of sunfish tend to do.
That would make more sense now that you mention it. Very truthful observation regarding tank size. If they grow to a foot I think I'll hold back and go with the parrot. Best part of the experience to me is watching them grow from little skittish buggers to massive full grown beauties. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
That would make more sense now that you mention it. Very truthful observation regarding tank size. If they grow to a foot I think I'll hold back and go with the parrot. Best part of the experience to me is watching them grow from little skittish buggers to massive full grown beauties. Cheers

I have caught 15" bluegills. They are the biggest of the Lepomis genus sunfish.

A better fit would be the Green Sunfish. They max out at around 8". They have better tolerance of low oxygen conditions than Bluegills also.

They look extremely similar in appearance to the Bluegill with a few distinguishing features.
1. The Green sunfish is a more elongated Lepomis than the Bluegill. (The Bluegill is basically "round" from a profile shot, while the much smaller Green sunny is shaped more like a LM-Bass.
2. There is no mistaking the two species if the mouth is closely examined. (Not in the same ballpark) Again, the much smaller Green sunfish is far closer to it's cousin the largemouth bass while the Bluegills have itty bitty tiny weeny mouths like Longear sunfish. (I would go as far as to say that a 4" juvenile green sunfish would still have a larger mouth than a citation 15" bluegill.
3. Aggression. (Yes different individuals in just about any semi-aggressive species range greatly, but in general the green sunfish are far more aggressive and violent!

Don't worry, your most important feature is still in abundance with the smaller Green sunfish. Those sharp fins will cut up a hand real purty like. JUST BLEED!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
20140305_113945-1-1.jpg
My native tank.
Its a 40tall with a 10g sump. I have a gill and a greenie In there along with a tiny catfish my dad got at a bait store a couple years ago. He was just gonna kill the cat so I took him. I hate to sound lime everyone else but im looking at houses and theres a monster basement cold water tank in my future.

If you collect them make sure you quarintine them. All of mine had anchor worms. Some caught ich once i put them in my qt tank. I dosed melafix for the hook wounds and anchor worm sores.

Also pumpkin seeds and greenies are much nicer than gills. Blue gills can be straight up murderous

20140305_113945-1-1.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
While we are at it,what about a black crappie?...I like their look.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
View attachment 1029897
My native tank.
Its a 40tall with a 10g sump. I have a gill and a greenie In there along with a tiny catfish my dad got at a bait store a couple years ago. He was just gonna kill the cat so I took him. I hate to sound lime everyone else but im looking at houses and theres a monster basement cold water tank in my future.

If you collect them make sure you quarintine them. All of mine had anchor worms. Some caught ich once i put them in my qt tank. I dosed melafix for the hook wounds and anchor worm sores.

Also pumpkin seeds and greenies are much nicer than gills. Blue gills can be straight up murderous
Are you planning on keeping them in there their whole lives? Just wondering

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store