Wait... could I get a bluegill?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I plan on keeping them as long as their size isnt prohibitive. I got them all as fingerlings. They've grown a fair amount the last couple years. But they arent too huge. The biggest one is about 4". Green sunfish and p.seeds dont get as large as gills, which I should have stuck with.

Im actively looking at houses. The plan is a large glass aquarium in the basement. (No way am I moving a 125-210g more than once lol) If life doesnt pan out the way i plan then i have a family friend with an outdoor pond, the type with a liner, not a natural pond that has all kinds of natives. Its in the inner city far away from any bodies of water. I DO NOT PLAN ON INTRODUCING THEM BACK TO THE WILD.

If it makes you feel any better the body of water they hail from had a total freeze over last winter when it was 40 below and this spring it had to be repopulated with farm raised fish. these guys are doing alright.

MonsterHunterMN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2013
Minnesota
I don't think a bluegill will get bigger the 8" in a smaller tank, you just need to get them small like 1-3" there are plenty of lakes around here with stunted sunfish no bigger then 6"

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I don't think a bluegill will get bigger the 8" in a smaller tank, you just need to get them small like 1-3" there are plenty of lakes around here with stunted sunfish no bigger then 6"
many stunted fish populations usually have health issues. Mainly due to starvation and lack of predators.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store