Wallago Attu growth rate?

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Thanks. I had to write to the vendor about my one-footer. George (of Shark Aquarium) said he fed it Hikari Cichlid Gold sinking pellets. Today my attu took 4 massivore pellets, very slowly / reluctantly (?).
no worries man:)

hikari are rarely available at this part of the world and are quite expensive:( i havent seen mine eat pellets ever even if i feed its tankmates pellets on a daily basis:/

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Is yours an aggressive feeder? How well does it compete? Mine still does not devour the massivore. In fact, I throw them almost on its head and it moves back from the pellets a bit, then it takes its time, may be a minute or two before taking 1 or 2 pellets. Then another 1 or 2. It runs away from frozen-thawed whole fish to the other side of the tank, as far as possible, and never comes back to even investigate it. It brings up the memories of my wretched experience with a Wallago leerii.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Is yours an aggressive feeder? How well does it compete? Mine still does not devour the massivore. In fact, I throw them almost on its head and it moves back from the pellets a bit, then it takes its time, may be a minute or two before taking 1 or 2 pellets. Then another 1 or 2. It runs away from frozen-thawed whole fish to the other side of the tank, as far as possible, and never comes back to even investigate it. It brings up the memories of my wretched experience with a Wallago leerii.
hmmmm... as far as aggression goes, while he was still in a smaller tank, i used to feed him live. i never actually saw him hunt. i just find him with a big tummy which is good enough for me. this was the case as well for non live food i gave it at this point.

upon the transfer to the aqua pond, there i saw him actually eat especially non live food. he is not as agressive of an eater as monster south american cats who would swim towards the surface when they see me coming and grab the food upon me dropping em, but he was able to compete for the food that fell to the bottom.

Mine is housed with south am cats (rtc/tsn/firewood/marble/etc) and yet is still able grab its own share of food despite the voraciousness of the other cats. hence, i would say it could hold its own.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Bob! Or Harvey? So there is hope. If I understood you right, yours didn't take the non-live food right away but the food did find its way into his tummy overnight. Because this resembles what I am seeing here too and what I saw with my leerii.

Their Highness deign today to take only 20-30 seconds on approaching and grabbing massivore while maintaining dignity by not appearing desperate or needy.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Thanks, Bob! Or Harvey? So there is hope. If I understood you right, yours didn't take the non-live food right away but the food did find its way into his tummy overnight. Because this resembles what I am seeing here too and what I saw with my leerii.

Their Highness deign today to take only 20-30 seconds on approaching and grabbing massivore while maintaining dignity by not appearing desperate or needy.
lol harvey to bobby to bob thanks to my sister. yupp! i think these fishes are just that demure as juvies lol:))

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks guys. That's great, Liam! Make sure to let us know when / if you try non-live feed.

A stepwise progress on this side of the pond. Mine took only 5-10 seconds to gobble up 6 massivore. Here is the royal pain in the butt:
100_6306.JPG 100_6362.JPG

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store