Water Conundrum

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
tank125;1772094; said:
Chlorine would have "burnt" their gills and you would see some pretty heavy breathing.
Not necessarily. I would think that it would take more chlorine to damage the fish than what it would take to kill bacteria. After all, that's why they use chlorine. It's job is to kill bacteria in a municipal water supply.

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
dragonmoonphotography.com
Well, the tank is draining right now and I will treat with the Prime and add the Stability. The only thing that stinks is that my ammonia test won't read right til the converted ammonia cycles through.

Not to say it isn't a good thing...but why aren't they acting sickly with the high amounts of ammonia? If I hadn't of tested the water I would have never known anything was wrong.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
Miles;1771581; said:
Oh and I would use Prime or AmQuel to atleast neutralize the ammonia until you can get it solved.. Prime claims to allow the ammonia to be removed from the bio-filter after neutralization, not sure about the AmQuel.

False readings or not.. just gotta change water and get it out and get it all cycled..
prime converts ammonia to ammonium... less toxic but still bio available...

you should always use a dechlor of some sort prime and hikari ultimate are my favs... ultimate is non sulfer based and can be dosed up to 10x the tank volume... i would add a 90gal pack of bio spira and also use sea chems stability after wards

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
Their behavior is still normal. Doing another water change now and I'm going out later to pick up some bio spira. That stuff is tough to find around here! I had to call a few places.

I treated with Stability last night and ammonia levels have dropped significantly (albeit still bad).

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Dracofish, I hope your rays continue to be fine through this ordeal. Your rays and photography inspired me to get into rays!

From what I've read leos are one of the toughest rays out there so I think they will be fine. My personal hunch is your water company added more chlorine to you water supply and though it was not enough to kill the fish, it was enough to kill your BB.

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
Added the bio spira and boy is that stuff expensive!!!! $36 for a 90gal treatment! I will test in the morning to see where the levels are at.

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
Still normal behavior this morning. Ammonia levels have come down more but are still up there. I will do a water change and test later on this evening.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
im wondering how many rays, size tank and amount of bio media u have.

i recently 4got to change my drip system filters, and all of my rays started getting sick. when this happened it never disrupted my bacteria.

my rays were sick for over a week b4 i figured out what was wrong.

epicentyr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
GR Michigan
vamptrev;1776415; said:
im wondering how many rays, size tank and amount of bio media u have.

i recently 4got to change my drip system filters, and all of my rays started getting sick. when this happened it never disrupted my bacteria.

my rays were sick for over a week b4 i figured out what was wrong.
How did you find out that your filters need changing?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Your rays are thankfully not suffering due to the lowish PH you have in their tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store