Water Conundrum

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
dragonmoonphotography.com
csx4236;1781015; said:
In my area they do change the chlorine levels during the summer and depending on how hot it is to kill bacteria. When I called my water company they told me the same thing we don't change the levels ever. Well after testing the chlorine everyday for 2 months it went from .5 to 5.0 on numerous occasions. It's a good idea to go buy a cheap chlorine test kit for your pool from a pool supply store and see whats going on during those long hot heat streaks in summer time. How big are your leo? For a 5 year old fish they almost have to be mature by that age. We just had 6 leo all around 20" and three years old wild imports start breeding in the same month so 3 years old seems to be the age. It might be your tank size that is holding them back. Or you might need to add another male, I have seen this many times were just having one male does not get the job done, Seems you might need to get the competition going. Good luck
The female is around 15" now and the male 14".

I think there are a couple reasons why they are a bit "slow on the uptake." For the male, he was traumatized when I first got him. He was nearly dead with blood filling one eye and skinny as a rail. Really, he probably should have died. It took a long time to rehabilitate him. But, I've heard that Rays that go through rough patches like that can be set back in the whole maturity department.

Another reason was the care my ex gave them in past years. Before we broke up almost two years ago (I'm sure most of the "oldies" of the fish board world remember both of us...now it's just me...thank the gods, lol) he was the one taking care of the fish for the most part. He didn't feed them nearly as much as I do, so they didn't grow very much at all. They really didn't start growing til after we split and I took over their care. I don't think tank size is the reason because I do perform lots of water changes and I've seen plenty of Rays get huge in tanks smaller than mine (not that that's a good thing...I'm gonna get my guys a 48" wide tank as soon as I can afford it).

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Dracofish;1782024; said:
The female is around 15" now and the male 14".

I think there are a couple reasons why they are a bit "slow on the uptake." For the male, he was traumatized when I first got him. He was nearly dead with blood filling one eye and skinny as a rail. Really, he probably should have died. It took a long time to rehabilitate him. But, I've heard that Rays that go through rough patches like that can be set back in the whole maturity department.

Another reason was the care my ex gave them in past years. Before we broke up almost two years ago (I'm sure most of the "oldies" of the fish board world remember both of us...now it's just me...thank the gods, lol) he was the one taking care of the fish for the most part. He didn't feed them nearly as much as I do, so they didn't grow very much at all. They really didn't start growing til after we split and I took over their care. I don't think tank size is the reason because I do perform lots of water changes and I've seen plenty of Rays get huge in tanks smaller than mine (not that that's a good thing...I'm gonna get my guys a 48" wide tank as soon as I can afford it).
I kinds figured they were not being fed properly in the past for them to still be this size and age. Glad they are getting the proper care now. I know a few very well known ray keeper who has had the same problem with rays that are 5-6 years old and only 12-14". They now feed heavily and have started to grow at a much faster rate. Still it will take longer for them to get to size as they are past there young growing stage, but they will put on size and do well with good food. In the past most people simple fed there rays to maintain and with no intention of breeding. Now that breeding is a main priority more food is needed. As for your tank size I know another person with a pair or 14" leo's there around 5 years old and they will not breed for this person as well, same situation there in a 180. I feel your tank is way to small for them to breed and grow properly. As for adding another male of different species yes that works very well and is how we have gotten alot of our females breeding. A male motoro should work best and it will create aggression between the two males and hopefully get your leo going. I honestly think they are still to small to breed and would not worry about this until there around 18-20" and in a bigger tank.

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
Oh yeah, I definately hope they don't breed til I get them in a bigger tank just so I'll be able to care for babies properly!

I just want them to be healthy and happy for the time being til I can save up the $3K+ to get the bigger tank.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
3k?

You can be more creative than that!:D

Dracofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
CT
rallysman;1782646; said:
3k?

You can be more creative than that!:D
Yeah, but the tank is in my living room and I don't have the ability or resources around to build something. I have to just go and have the tank custom built from Glasscages with a stand and canopy to look nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store