wavy laminate floor and aquarium stand

coles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2016
So my floor where i want to place my tank stand is quite wavy ,as in there are highs and lows . Which means the stand wouldnt be fully supported around the base. Which doesnt sound good to me. So . My idea is to place styrofoam down first. Like what people use under acrylic tanks. Then i would place plywood on top of that . And then the stand . So, first foam,then plywood , then stand. Does this sound safe? Only reason it would be difficult to shim is because where i would need to shim is to close to the wall.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest you should do it but make sure stand is level , then place empty aquarium on the stand see if it is level repeat process with just water in the aquarium. If everything is level then you should be fine.:)

coles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2016
I suggest you should do it but make sure stand is level , then place empty aquarium on the stand see if it is level repeat process with just water in the aquarium. If everything is level then you should be fine.:)
Suggest i should do what?

coles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2016
Do what you had planned to do stated in your post, just adding my input .:)
So foam,plywood,stand,tank. Check if level. If so ,fill with water. Then check again? This wont add pressure points at all?

coles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2016
I personally would do it with out the foam, and shim under plywood.
But i cant exactly shim where i need to . You know? Wall is to close or the angle is making it not feasable. But as you were saying. What would putting plywood only and shimming under that do exactly? I dont know exactly and thus why i am asking.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes I would try the plywood only first, if it is the laminate not the floor underneath you should be ok .

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The weight of the stand, tank with water would press the plywood down on the laminate .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store