Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Nice! Also people have good success with temps in the 60's

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
these are the only fish i would be willing to over through the bosses (wifes) rule of no more tanks for. i been looking for these for years but very few and far between in the uk.

stunning thanks for sharing and making me ring shops hahaha

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
I think they're fairly easy to care for. I know these guys need a lot more air than the average fish, I wouldn't dare house anything else with them (which is another leading cause of bloat).
These have been my kryptonite for some reason. The smallest thing seems to knock them off. I had one that got bigger then killed his siblings off only to get stressed by a dovii 3ft from his tank.

Beani are still on my favorites list

RockyMountainCichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2015
Colorado
These have been my kryptonite for some reason. The smallest thing seems to knock them off. I had one that got bigger then killed his siblings off only to get stressed by a dovii 3ft from his tank.

Beani are still on my favorites list
Yeah!

Freshwaterpredators mentioned, beani's and haitiensis need lots of aeration, no tankmates or you can have dithers, and last but not least. . quiet surrounding, I wouldn't ever put a beani in a living room with kids around. I'd put it in the basement with nothing around.

I think a lot of it has to do with genetics as well.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Awesome pick up! Rarely see them on here or offered for sale and definitely one of the few aggressive cichlids I'd be willing to dedicate a set up to a sole individual. As others have mentioned they can be fragile but as long as you keep the stress to a minimum you should be good to go. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
This is a fish I really want!

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
these are the only fish i would be willing to over through the bosses (wifes) rule of no more tanks for. i been looking for these for years but very few and far between in the uk.

stunning thanks for sharing and making me ring shops hahaha
Awesome pick up! Rarely see them on here or offered for sale and definitely one of the few aggressive cichlids I'd be willing to dedicate a set up to a sole individual. As others have mentioned they can be fragile but as long as you keep the stress to a minimum you should be good to go. Good luck and please keep us updated.
This is a fish I really want!
Thanks guys, they're doing great so far I'll keep this thread going as they grow.

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
Nice fish. I even had a group of 7-10" adult Beani get bloat and all of them died. This was in a tank that you could practically drink out of! Beautiful fish but they are definitely my biggest challenge in doing this for 30 plus years now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find the most stressful factor for beani, is their own siblings, or other cichlids.
I grew out a group in a 150 gal, where the alpha would actively seek out less dominant siblings and either kill them directly, or thru intimidation. I ended up with a lone pair in the tank that spawned a few times until the male killed the female.

The only way to keep other sub-dominant siblings from death was to keep them in separate tanks, or divided with egg crate.

And he only way to keep the grow out fry of the spawns from killing each other was to choke the tank with plants, so lines of site where broken, and juvies could easily disappear.

I found if temps were low (mid to high 60sF) aggression seemed to be less deadly, and the pair spawned at temps of @ 68'F. This makes sense to me, as they are the most northerly endemic cichlid on the Pacific coast, where night time temps can be less than tropical.
If I were to try them again, I would not grow them out together. I would separate the tank into compartments, and provide places to hide in order to break line of site.
I sent juvies out and suggested this, and when the info was unheeded, I heard very few survived. Simple rock caves and normal hides seem to me to be insufficient, because of the alpha's seek and destroy attitude.

I also found them very susceptable to duck lips when kept at temps in the high 70s and low 80s.
Much like haitiensus, because they are usually the lone cichlid in their habitat, keeping them with any other cichlid, seems to lead to an early stress induced demise in all but the largest of tanks

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
This :)

I find the most stressful factor for beani, is their own siblings, or other cichlids.
I grew out a group in a 150 gal, where the alpha would actively seek out less dominant siblings and either kill them directly, or thru intimidation. I ended up with a lone pair in the tank that spawned a few times until the male killed the female.

The only way to keep other sub-dominant siblings from death was to keep them in separate tanks, or divided with egg crate.

And he only way to keep the grow out fry of the spawns from killing each other was to choke the tank with plants, so lines of site where broken, and juvies could easily disappear.

I found if temps were low (mid to high 60sF) aggression seemed to be less deadly, and the pair spawned at temps of @ 68'F. This makes sense to me, as they are the most northerly endemic cichlid on the Pacific coast, where night time temps can be less than tropical.
If I were to try them again, I would not grow them out together. I would separate the tank into compartments, and provide places to hide in order to break line of site.
I sent juvies out and suggested this, and when the info was unheeded, I heard very few survived. Simple rock caves and normal hides seem to me to be insufficient, because of the alpha's seek and destroy attitude.

I also found them very susceptable to duck lips when kept at temps in the high 70s and low 80s.
Much like haitiensus, because they are usually the lone cichlid in their habitat, keeping them with any other cichlid, seems to lead to an early stress induced demise in all but the largest of tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store