Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^This,and it sounds like a substrate vac and water change might be in order

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
If your ammonia and nitrites are zero your filter is working, it sounds like you want better mechanical. You can do that a number of ways. What is your water change regimen and sorry for the underlining

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
If your ammonia and nitrites are zero your filter is working, it sounds like you want better mechanical. You can do that a number of ways. What is your water change regimen and sorry for the underlining
Eh maybe a wc every two weeks. I think it should be once a week. But I guess that's what I want I don't want a ghetto filter

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Eh maybe a wc every two weeks. I think it should be once a week. But I guess that's what I want I don't want a ghetto filter
I'm not following the correlation between water changes and ghetto filters.

It sounds like your nitrate issues are related to your water change schedule more than your filter.

50%weekly for a month or three then check.

A lot of the more experienced keepers here do more like 75 weekly, some even more or several times a week

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You say high nitrates, how high? This is the figure that should determine how often you do your water changes. You really need to be thinking about changing your water when you start getting towards the deeper orange colour on the API colour chart (some would do it mid orange, some might let it start nudging the red). For me this is every 6 days with my stock. Even without knowing your stock i'm guessing 2 weeks is a bit on the long side and thats why your nitrate is high. Also that filter pad looks like it's neither use nor ornament. It's ill fitting so as soon as it collects a bit of crap the water no longer filters through it but goes round the sides not filtering it at all, the gunk in the bottom of your sump is a result of this. It takes months for that level of gunk to build up in mine. Tinker with your mechanical filtration and up your water changes to one per week. That would be a good starter point.

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
You say high nitrates, how high? This is the figure that should determine how often you do your water changes. You really need to be thinking about changing your water when you start getting towards the deeper orange colour on the API colour chart (some would do it mid orange, some might let it start nudging the red). For me this is every 6 days with my stock. Even without knowing your stock i'm guessing 2 weeks is a bit on the long side and thats why your nitrate is high. Also that filter pad looks like it's neither use nor ornament. It's ill fitting so as soon as it collects a bit of crap the water no longer filters through it but goes round the sides not filtering it at all, the gunk in the bottom of your sump is a result of this. It takes months for that level of gunk to build up in mine. Tinker with your mechanical filtration and up your water changes to one per week. That would be a good starter point.
For months I had no pad in the filter that's why. Me and my father have tried multiple things to help this filter that is why I'm on here asking for help. And yes I know I need to step up on water changes I will be doing that but I'd like to get the filter working well.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Can you post a pic of the top of the wet/dry filter area where the water enters it? You will need to lift up the lid with the two fittings that return the water to the filter after you shut off the water flow.

It is difficult to see how much room you have to correctly place the mechanical media prior to the bio balls. It does appear there is a tray or drip tray right below the filter lid, is that correct?

Are you also saying that the fittings in the filter lid project below the lid and contact the filter pads?

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
Can you post a pic of the top of the wet/dry filter area where the water enters it? You will need to lift up the lid with the two fittings that return the water to the filter after you shut off the water flow.

It is difficult to see how much room you have to correctly place the mechanical media prior to the bio balls. It does appear there is a tray or drip tray right below the filter lid, is that correct?

Are you also saying that the fittings in the filter lid project below the lid and contact the filter pads?
Yes there a drip try but in the drip tray should be a pad but the pads don't fit. The tubing that is threaded into the drip try is touching like the thread is too long but I can't cut it because there will not be enough thread

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
Do you see what I'm saying?

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store