Wet pet?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve kept a severum in a 75 and personally I think it’s too small. He looked cramp in there and if I were to get another one I would put it in a minimum of a 5’ tank.
Just curious - what species was it? My turquoise is about 8 inches now and doesn’t seem to big for the 75 he’s in.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just curious - what species was it? My turquoise is about 8 inches now and doesn’t seem to big for the 75 he’s in.
Just a normal run of the mill green severum, probably bought from petco. He was also around 8”, maybe a bit bigger, but he just seemed cramped in there.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
If you can be SURE to get a female, a 75gal would be okay for a FEMALE devil/midas for life, by itself. If there's even a chance you'll end up with a male, don't bother - anything smaller than a 5ft long tank is too small for a full grown male devil or midas. I have mine in a 6ft tank by himself, and even not full grown yet at about 10" it's not a ton of room for him by any means.

Personally, IMO the same applies to flowerhorns. Males can get very large and the tank would just be too small. Anything bigger than 9-10" at maximum size will outgrow a 75gal.

Something like a goldsaum, jack dempsey, etc. should be what you consider. Agreed, male convicts when they actually get full grown are impressive "little" monsters with a ton of personality and greatly resemble the flowerhorn and midas shape. I can't recommend a BP to anyone ever because I personally think they're horrible little abominations that should be wiped from the hobby entirely, but to each their own :p
Add to that, some female devils get to the 11-12 inch range, especially if they haven't bred too young. Having loads of fry early seems to cramp their maximum size.

Reactions: Theos.dad

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Add to that, some female devils get to the 11-12 inch range, especially if they haven't bred too young. Having loads of fry early seems to cramp their maximum size.
Agree with this. Breeding really slows down growth rate. Imo this is why a lot of jd and green terror females you see are around the 4 to 5 Inch size. I've got an all female tank that has 7 or so Inch female jd and female gt that's definitely over 6 at 1.5 years old. If you want the females to grow you gotta keep them away from males

Reactions: Deadeye and FINWIN

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
All the convict family things (hypsophrys, cryptoheros, amatitlania), panamius, all the black/yellow/blue/green acaras (cichlasoma, aequidens, andinoacara), and any of the digging freshwater puffers (miurus, hairy, dragon, etc) make excellent wet pets that can probably fit in a 75 or smaller. Maybe female herichthys too for a 75. Female amphilophus have the potential to get just as big and bulky as the males. I personally would recommend some of the smaller parachromis species or females of them, but not everyone can handle them.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store