What are your favorite type of filters?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Ive always used fluval canisters, but since i got the 180 im loving my sump. Only downside to it is that it takes water from the top not the bottom, so im using wavemakers to keep the crud in the water column so it can be filtered out. Mechanical is so easy in a sump with socks and theres tonnes of room for bio (or chemical if you need it. You can also hide your heaters!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
^ +1

All those filters have their place. I'd never try filter my 2000L tank with canisters, or a small display in my living room with a big ugly sponge filter, or a bank of a couple of dozen 10g tanks with a sump...

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
I've used HOBs and Canisters before. I definitely prefer the canister filter. In my opinion it is actually easier to clean and I don't have to deal with the HOB impellers that were always getting out of alignment. It also allows you to utilize more filter media. My canister filter is so much quieter than any of the HOBs that I have used. Still have yet to use a sump though.

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
I'm an aquaclear die hard, specially AC 110 and 70.

More recently I got into canister with one CF400 and since I liked it so much I bought just another one.

I also got an Emperor 400 which is an excellent machine too. What had kept me from buying one Emp 400 before was I didnt agree with the idea of buying cartridges over, but I decided to give it a go and as soon as I put my hands on it I realized how easy it was to customize just using some floss pads instead of endlessly keeping buying cartridges.

Biowheel are a mini wet dry, a nice feature that you cannot find in any other hob in the matket, this along with some imagination to customize the mechanical filtration media makes, emperor 400 an oustandig HOB.

Cheers.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I've used all 3 over the 30+ years of this hobby and I still prefer canister/HOB combo over anything else to be honest. I've tried the sump a few times and really just don't like them at all and I do see the appeal they have and I do know they work, however I just prefer canister/HOB. My ac110 takes 10 minutes to clean, the XP3 is a breeze to clean, the CFS 14i is just cleaning out sponges and my 2262 doesn't need cleaning near as often as the other because I just use it for bio. I like my 2262 so much that i'm going to get another here very soon and I believe the eheim is worth the increased price tag it carries. If after all these years I was to say what is the best, they all do their jobs and will last awhile (for the most part) if taken care of properly and you do the routine maintenance on them they require.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Canisters unless you live in a basement and can afford to have a sump overflow or leak etc lol.

EHEIM all day man. 2213 all the way to 2262s are all I run

Sent from MFK App
A properly set up sump cannot overflow. Even if you do something stupid or have a power outage. I did both and made mine stupid proof and power outage neutral.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
How do you use a canister just for bio? Pre-filter?

Matt

I've used all 3 over the 30+ years of this hobby and I still prefer canister/HOB combo over anything else to be honest. I've tried the sump a few times and really just don't like them at all and I do see the appeal they have and I do know they work, however I just prefer canister/HOB. My ac110 takes 10 minutes to clean, the XP3 is a breeze to clean, the CFS 14i is just cleaning out sponges and my 2262 doesn't need cleaning near as often as the other because I just use it for bio. I like my 2262 so much that i'm going to get another here very soon and I believe the eheim is worth the increased price tag it carries. If after all these years I was to say what is the best, they all do their jobs and will last awhile (for the most part) if taken care of properly and you do the routine maintenance on them they require.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
I love my fx5s. Ehiem junkies talk alot of trash about them, bit I have had nothing but positive experiences.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
How do you use a canister just for bio? Pre-filter?

Matt
There is a prefilter, however the filter is 3/4+ is bio and my other two on the 350 are just mechanical. Been running like this with not a problem, and I want another 2262 to loose the xp3.

Sent from my LGL86C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store