What are your favorite type of filters?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I didn't mention this before, because it is a bit abstract, but my "favorite" type filtration is foam fractionation.
It removes free floating algae, parasites, heavy metals, dissolved organic carbon, this list goes on and on. Fractionation removes the stuff we see, and can't see. Mine also perform biofiltration, because the vertical tube is filled with lava rock.
But is is a bit unsightly, and for fresh water has to be large. My bio-fractionators stand 4ft tall, and take quite a bit of flow, at least 1000 gph.
And if the water is too clean (which they accomplish quickly) then they appear to be not working.

The one above is on my pond, I got the DIY plans from koiphen.com, where it is called phoam phrationation.

martinbinn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
Australia, Sydney, 2126
A DIY sump is in my opinion the best type of filtration around, because... well.. if you want it done right, do it yourself. pluss you gety all those other added benefits of the sump.
and to back up your sump a simple foam filter is always the best, because your overflow skims the water and your foam filter gently sucks up all the **** from the bottom ;)

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Im fan of canister filters - do the job and clean every 3 months :) for upcoming 300g im going to use 2x eheim xl 1200 (2080) - quite expensive but i demand quality :) im a bit scared of sump but its very useful - all technic can be hidden in it so there's more space in tank and if there is a leak it doesnt make such disaster as canister :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store