What Arowana is this?

BigBagAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Singapore
Sup everyone, this is my first Arowana and I believe it is a RTG Arowana. Now what the breeder I bought this fish from tells me that this fish is actually a hybrid rtg Arowana, anyone knows how to tell the difference or do I just need to wait for the fish to grow?

On another note, my younger brother knocked on the glass to try and tempt my ornate bichir to come out, and that spooked the heck out of my arowana, hence the fish is scared of everything and anything and even food. He has only been in this tank for 2 days now so i presumer food shouldn't be a problem in a couple days. How long will it take for the fish to get used to me and others? Any suggestions for how to cope with this problem?

Anyway I do hope someone responds soon. There is an attachment of a picture of the arowana below.

13932848_10153808020941451_2306790643997403427_n.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is an asian arowana right? The red tail part is obvious, the other parts will become apparent later on.

BigBagAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Singapore
This is an asian arowana right? The red tail part is obvious, the other parts will become apparent later on.
Yes this is an Asian Arowana, and I do hope it is a hybrid, I am noticing some sort of blue-ish coloration in the inner part of the fish's scales. The supposive pair from whom this fish came from, one had a blueish coloration while the other was definitely a regular rtg arowana. So who knows ;p.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yes this is an Asian Arowana, and I do hope it is a hybrid, I am noticing some sort of blue-ish coloration in the inner part of the fish's scales. The supposive pair from whom this fish came from, one had a blueish coloration while the other was definitely a regular rtg arowana. So who knows ;p.
Lucky you. Good luck with rearing. I need to convince the south African government to legalise them.

BigBagAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Singapore
Lucky you. Good luck with rearing. I need to convince the south African government to legalise them.
Are African Arowana's allowed or even jardini's? or those too are banned? Man that must suck, in Singapore arowana's aren't the priciest, this rtg was only 98 sgd and it's a good 6 inches. A baby red grade 1 was about 400 which is quite a bit but considerably cheap.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They must be the only other government besides the U.S. that bans them.

Reactions: BigBagAro

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I believe they are banned in U.S and Africa as the species are greatly endangered? I am not too sure but I believe in the wild they are close to extinction.
The reason for them being banned is well known,I was commenting that no other countries seem to ban them.Australia probably also does as well.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Are African Arowana's allowed or even jardini's? or those too are banned? Man that must suck, in Singapore arowana's aren't the priciest, this rtg was only 98 sgd and it's a good 6 inches. A baby red grade 1 was about 400 which is quite a bit but considerably cheap.
I have seen silver for sale. Jardini are available and african i dont know.

I PAY MORE FOR A SILVER AROWANA... a 6" silver aro would be about 120 singapore dollars...someone needs to ship me a tank and i need to visit singapore...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store