What can I add to my 55 gallon tank

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
I have a 55 gallon fish tank with 2 angelfish (that aren’t breeding) and 4 corydoras. I have kept them for about a month and the tank is kinda dull. I want a little more action in the tank

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I have a few swordtails and platies in a 65g with 4 angel fish, they are pretty quick so they don't get picked on by the angelfish.

Reactions: tlindsey

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
I have a 55 gallon fish tank with 2 angelfish (that aren’t breeding) and 4 corydoras. I have kept them for about a month and the tank is kinda dull. I want a little more action in the tank
If you want some action check out the Salvini cichlid. Just a heads up, they can be quite aggressive. They usually max out at 7". Or you could do a pair of convicts. That would give you some action. GL

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
You have a lot of options. If you want to keep with calm demeanor of the tank, but more going on I would suggestion tetras like emperors, Colombian red and blues, Congos, or bleeding hearts. If you want something a little more active I would look at hatchets, Burmese border loaches, coolie loaches, mollies, or rainbows. If you go the rainbow route threadfins, put on a good display with their fins. Turquoise put on a good show with their colors. If you want an oddball I enjoyed my dragon goby years ago. A banjo cat or raphael could work as well. Mystery snails are more fun than people give them credit for as well.

If you do go the cichlid route I would do Bolivian rams they are very hardy, and give you something interesting. A lot of people keep festivums with angels.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
DO NOT GET CONGO TETRAS. THEY ARE VERY AGGRESSIVE!!! MINE ATE 5/6 OF THE NEW ADDITIONAL CONGO TETRAS, AND BULLY THE DELHEZI AND CORY CATS!!!

Depends what you want.

You could go the livebearer route; get a few platys and/or swordtails, and they breed over and over again so you have more and more. Angelfish would keep the fry at bay.

You could get a pair of semi-aggressive cichlids, like salvini, Keyhole, Rainbow, or something small like some Rams.

You could get an eel. Spiny Eels are the best. Check out my post here for a bit more information:
From my scarce knowledge, Spiny Eels are found in southeast asia, the middle east, and Africa. They are not eels, but more or less eel-like. The term "Spiny Eel" is used to describe members of 2 different families of fish; Mastacembelidae (freshwater found in asia and africa), and Notacanthidae (saltwater, mainly deep-sea eel). In Africa alone, there are 43 known Spiny Eels. But the ones most common in aquarium trade are from Sri Lanka, Southeast Asia, and India. Spiny Eel species well known include Fire, Peacock, Tire Track, Zig Zag, Spotted, Zebra, and Siamese Eels. Thats all my knowledge.
You could get some more catfish. Maybe a syno like featherfin squeaker, or some kind of upside down cat.

As for tetras or barbs, you can get a large shoal of Long Fin Rosy Barbs, Penguin Tetras, Pristilla tetras, rummynose tetras, or some kind of Rasbora

You could go with Giant Danios, Gold ring, Zebra, or Zebra Longfin Danio

And Lastly, a Dojo Loach could make a great eel-like fish in your tank. Good luck!

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would stick with the Amazon setup you have and get some mid sized tetras (ba, Colombian, serpae) and a Raphael.
Maybe a pair of rams too for more diversity in cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store