40 gallon breeder stocking help

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Peacock eels are great. Small and very fun!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Don't Peacock Eels reach upwards of 40 centimeters (1'3") in the wild? Half bandeds only reach 20 cm (around 7 inches). I think half-banded's are a better fit. I, ironically wanted an eel for my 55 gallon tank! Infact, I was almost set on it, if it wasn't for my difficult time locating one! From my scarce knowledge, Spiny Eels are found in southeast asia, the middle east, and Africa. They are not eels, but more or less eel-like. The term "Spiny Eel" is used to describe members of 2 different families of fish; Mastacembelidae (freshwater found in asia and africa), and Notacanthidae (saltwater, mainly deep-sea eel). In Africa alone, there are 43 known Spiny Eels. But the ones most common in aquarium trade are from Sri Lanka, Southeast Asia, and India. Spiny Eel species well known include Fire, Peacock, Tire Track, Zig Zag, Spotted, Zebra, and Siamese Eels. Thats all my knowledge. Anyone else have personal experience with Half Banded? Maybe an African Spiny Eel would fit the African Theme.

Reactions: Deadeye

justincl

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
Don't Peacock Eels reach upwards of 40 centimeters (1'3") in the wild? Half bandeds only reach 20 cm (around 7 inches). I think half-banded's are a better fit. I, ironically wanted an eel for my 55 gallon tank! Infact, I was almost set on it, if it wasn't for my difficult time locating one! From my scarce knowledge, Spiny Eels are found in southeast asia, the middle east, and Africa. They are not eels, but more or less eel-like. The term "Spiny Eel" is used to describe members of 2 different families of fish; Mastacembelidae (freshwater found in asia and africa), and Notacanthidae (saltwater, mainly deep-sea eel). In Africa alone, there are 43 known Spiny Eels. But the ones most common in aquarium trade are from Sri Lanka, Southeast Asia, and India. Spiny Eel species well known include Fire, Peacock, Tire Track, Zig Zag, Spotted, Zebra, and Siamese Eels. Thats all my knowledge. Anyone else have personal experience with Half Banded? Maybe an African Spiny Eel would fit the African Theme.

oh yeah, I like the african. was starting away from the eel idea bc it didn't fit the theme, thanks for introducing that one. don't know how I wasn't able to find that one I tried looking for african ones

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

I think 13-14 inches is max recorded, though they generally aren’t seen above 8. Half banded is smaller on average though.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Don't Peacock Eels reach upwards of 40 centimeters (1'3") in the wild? Half bandeds only reach 20 cm (around 7 inches). I think half-banded's are a better fit. I, ironically wanted an eel for my 55 gallon tank! In fact, I was almost set on it, if it wasn't for my difficult time locating one! ..
I don't think you are looking hard enough for an eel. Aquarium Fish Depot has had the African Tanganyikan eel (Mastacembelus albomactulatus) (22cm TL) for months now. It's a simple 20-30 minute drive (just as far as Aquatic Warehouse from you). You'll have to spend some $$ though as it doesn't come cheap

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store