What carpet plants are good?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
That kind of co2 does not make the required amounts of co2 and is super unreliable and unstable.

If you want to do high light (anything over 50 PAR I believe) then you need to invest in the right co2 or be satisfied with a messy algae farm.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Also, natural lighting is too strong and too variable, so I tend to avoid it with aquatic systems.

The problem with fish tanks are that, since they are closed systems more or less, you need to be in control of the variables in order to have any sort of stability.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
you can try marselia hirsuta bit slow but does good without co2 also dwarf sagitarius
Dwarf sag grows deceivingly tall, so I'd avoid that one tbh.

There are some carpet plants that work in medium light though, but most grow leagues better with co2

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
there is no "cheap" with co2, you are at least spending $100+ for the equipment. but, if you have medium lighting, you won't need co2, which is why I ask what your lighting is

with planted tanks, you can't just get equipment and plants and hope for the best...you need knowledge, there is no magic one answer. we cannot help you without more information on your tank.

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
i'd say listen to hybridherp and stop avoiding him like u are doin right now. Learn from others who done it before you, thats how i go at it

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
i'd say listen to hybridherp and stop avoiding him like u are doin right now. Learn from others who done it before you, thats how i go at it
Yah, I apologize if I'm sounding a bit like a dick or anything (half the time I comment I'm between classes or bored in a class) but if you want the proper help, you'll need to give information and be willing to accept that certain things can't be done certain ways.

I learned the hard way what happens when you rush into nice plants, and I'm still dealing with the algae that I can't kill that happened when I increased my light, didn't have enough plants, didn't dose ferts properly, and had no co2.

Planted tanks are all about patience and balance, and even once you get plants growing, you still have to trim them to keep them growing well. HC for example, if left untrimmed, will lift up from the bottom of the tank and make a giant mess floating at the top. I avoid wanting that plant because, while pretty, it requires a heck of a lot of maintenance and that's just not something I want to deal with right now.

There are other carpeting plants I like a great deal, but, there's little point in going more in depth on the subject if you aren't willing to learn it. Just trying to help you avoid the mistakes I made.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm not new to the game either.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161176525695?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Probably the cheapest co2 reg you can find brand new if you're going the high light route (co2 + high light isn't all you need though). But hybridherp is right: you will have an algae garden with anything above low light unless you research extensively or get really lucky.

Sent from my C6906 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
There is a guy on craigslist with a co2 kit for $20.I ordered a 20 lb bag of black gravel.The baby tears is here and in the tank, how do I make it spread out like carpet, its fluffy now.I think the micro sword and java moss (I am doing a java moss wall) will be here today and the gravel will be here tomorrow or the next day.My fish seem to like my new plant! ( :

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store