What do people keep with their REAL monsters

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
What do people keep with alligator gars, large cats (paroon sharks, niger cats, RTC, TSN, and hybrids), pacus, and arapaima? Does anyone successfully keep all of those species together? Anyone keep arowanas successfully with them?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
you can keep all the above together, depending on specimens. There's a guy on YouTube, I believe his channel is "myaquaticdiary" that has them all together. Arapaimag kept them all together.

Reactions: HumanBean

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
you can keep all the above together, depending on specimens. There's a guy on YouTube, I believe his channel is "myaquaticdiary" that has them all together. Arapaimag kept them all together.
Here we are talking about few hundred gallon in tank size. Together all there species will need a Hugh space. :)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Here we are talking about few hundred gallon in tank size. Together all there species will need a Hugh space. :)
I honestly hope this is sarcasm. The only fish on that list that is possible to be kept in a tank of less than sever thousand gallons would be the niger catfish and arowana. You could use a few hundred gallon tank for a growout, but arapaimas and alligator gars have been known to hit 10 feet, and unconfirmed at 12 plus.

Reactions: HumanBean

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Generally speaking a 7k gallon aquarium is not possible for.most
. people do keep these in few hundred gallon setups. Never heard a 10 feet long fish in home aquaria hobby but in wild yes

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yes, it's not possible for most. That's why you don't see most people keeping alligator gars or arapaima. The people that keep them in few hundred gallon setups (I'll assume you mean 300 gallon range) are being idiotic, as arapaima can easily get spinal injuries from not having a proper turning radius, and alligator gars can as well.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Well if he were thinking of just a few hundred gallons I'd say only aro, pacu, Niger cat are suitable for lifetime that is the rest need atleast a thousand if not a couple lol

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I honestly hope this is sarcasm. The only fish on that list that is possible to be kept in a tank of less than sever thousand gallons would be the niger catfish and arowana. You could use a few hundred gallon tank for a growout, but arapaimas and alligator gars have been known to hit 10 feet, and unconfirmed at 12 plus.
Keep reading, they don't get that big.

Youngddh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
Are u talking about the guy with the 60k gallon pond

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store