What do you believe is cruelty or abuse when it comes to fish?

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
You wanted to know where I stand on activists that help wild animals. Here you go they are ok the ones actually helping are hunting organizations like Safari Club International. The ones that want to shut down zoos though are not helping animals like the Siberian Tiger. As sad as it is soon zoos and private collectors will be the only place to find these big cats. How ever I do not promote having a pet tiger unless you have a death wish and I wish no one was crossing their Siberian and Bengals but they do.
It was mentioned line breeding fish should be Illegal if it were a lot of fish would not be in the aquarium trade. Some examples are lyre tail swords ruby red peacocks most guppy strains and list would go on. In fact line breeding or inbreeding is how we have most of our domestic animals. The poodle was not a wild dog some one bred for that look.
But lets just keep this on what the thread was started as what is fish cruelty.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Dolphin rape is real lol bottlenoses love doing it to smaller specie

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
guess i aint swimming with them. least not with out duct tape.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
bottom line it aint rocket science, info is there, do right by what you have, to do other wise, (and if you reading this there no excuse) is arrogant ignorance by your choice and is no excuse.

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Honestly, to be considered cruelty, a person should be recognize that his own actions are wrong or immoral. I think a lot of people are misinformed in keeping fishes. Not all, but some. We all have made the mistake of buying too many fishes or keeping big ones in smaller tanks? Should that be considered cruel? It's not cruel if you don't know what you are doing. I remember buying my first RTC when I was 15 and the internet was not easily accessible. Was that cruel for me to keep a 3" RTC in a 55 gallons when I didn't know a thing about it and the LFS didn't even give me any info? Not feeding your fishes because you are lazy is cruel. If you don't have money to feed your fishes and care about them, just give them away to a good home and sell your tank. A lot of people and LFS got hit by the economy, that's understandable.
Feeding feeders shouldn't be considered cruel, LOL at people who think that way It's called "food chain". It happens in nature, why not in the fish keeping setting? For god sake, humans eat fishes too, is it considered cruel for humans to eat fishes too?
My argument could go on an on. I'm not here to defend bad practices in fish keeping. People just need to understand the difference between cruelty and bad fish keeping?

Cruelty to me would be like guys keeping fishes in dirty-ass tanks, not feeding them at all and knowing that they are doing so and not giving a f*** about it. Also, letting their dead fishes in their tanks until they decompose. And shame on the LFS who do all of the above. I feel no sympathy for LFS who can't show a little love in keeping their fishes healthy and set the example to hobbyists.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Honestly, to be considered cruelty, a person should be recognize that his own actions are wrong or immoral. I think a lot of people are misinformed in keeping fishes. Not all, but some. We all have made the mistake of buying too many fishes or keeping big ones in smaller tanks? Should that be considered cruel? It's not cruel if you don't know what you are doing. I remember buying my first RTC when I was 15 and the internet was not easily accessible. Was that cruel for me to keep a 3" RTC in a 55 gallons when I didn't know a thing about it and the LFS didn't even give me any info? Not feeding your fishes because you are lazy is cruel. If you don't have money to feed your fishes and care about them, just give them away to a good home and sell your tank. A lot of people and LFS got hit by the economy, that's understandable.
Feeding feeders shouldn't be considered cruel, LOL at people who think that way It's called "food chain". It happens in nature, why not in the fish keeping setting? For god sake, humans eat fishes too, is it considered cruel for humans to eat fishes too?
My argument could go on an on. I'm not here to defend bad practices in fish keeping. People just need to understand the difference between cruelty and bad fish keeping?

Cruelty to me would be like guys keeping fishes in dirty-ass tanks, not feeding them at all and knowing that they are doing so and not giving a f*** about it. Also, letting their dead fishes in their tanks until they decompose. And shame on the LFS who do all of the above. I feel no sympathy for LFS who can't show a little love in keeping their fishes healthy and set the example to hobbyists.

well put .nice resurrection too:)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark

Its your responsibility to research the fish, and what they need before buying them imo.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Believe it or not Karl the law actually protects ignorance now. Well put Lulu a lot of what some are calling cruelty can be put on the shoulders of the LFS. In Alberta right now we have a shortage of workers so if you will work at a store you are hired. We kind of like to think the employees of a store will know what they are talking about. So we buy a fish on their advice and find out later we got more than we bargained for. On the other side of the fence though are the customers that know everything and can make an employees life miserable. We all know these people they know everything and we are stupid and these are the people that give our hobby a bad name.
There are also people who know more than we can ever hope to know and it is a true pleasure when you meet these people and can bask in their knowledge. We are learning more everyday in this hobby and what is great today will someday be thought of as cruelty. So we should all strive to do the best we can.
I believe most people do try their very best and should not be attacked for but offered friendly advice. We all make mistakes let's learn from them and help others along the way. In all honesty though who has not wanted a fish that would be to hard to own. Some of us have even got said fish but never ever meant it harm. So in order to consider something cruelty the attitude of the owner should be the first thing we look at.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
all the people that say its cruel to cut the wings on pet birds are not really being realistic about the chance that that parrot you have had for a pet for the last 30 years might fly right out the front door and into the highest tree in the neighborhood or just keep flying and you never see it again,and worst starves or freezes to death or eaten by something for lunch. My mom has a yellow nape and he sings and talks and has been very happy for the last 35 years and probely will out live her,she made plans for some one to take care of him when her time comes,so get off your high horse and respect all the people that do the right thing for there birds.and besides all the parrots these days are captive breed and never been flying in any rain forest.If they never flew I guess they do not know what there missing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store