What do you believe is cruelty or abuse when it comes to fish?

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
I think air pumps might be cruel. The fish's lines of lateral are highly sensitive and the air pumps put out such a strong vibration, I wonder if it's not like a person trying to sleep in front to a stereo. But I could be wrong. There are many other things I would fix first. Not putting fish in the appropriate size container, not providing basic care.

I believe all life is inherently valuable and that value is completely independent of it's usefulness to others. Fish and reptiles don't get the proper respect because they aren't warm and fuzzy. So unfair. I know iguanas that have TONS of personality and intelligence.

Glenn

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I think air pumps might be cruel. The fish's lines of lateral are highly sensitive and the air pumps put out such a strong vibration, I wonder if it's not like a person trying to sleep in front to a stereo. But I could be wrong. There are many other things I would fix first. Not putting fish in the appropriate size container, not providing basic care.

I believe all life is inherently valuable and that value is completely independent of it's usefulness to others. Fish and reptiles don't get the proper respect because they aren't warm and fuzzy. So unfair. I know iguanas that have TONS of personality and intelligence.

Glenn
Hello; I think you are on a wrong track with air pumps. Fish live in natural habitats with water flowing over rocks and waterfalls. ( a bubbling brook?) I also have run air pumps in tanks for over 50 years and many of those years had tanks near where I sleep. I get comfortable with the air bubbles noise and the fish seem to as well. I do find the buzz of an air pump annoying. I have put the pump in my basement with a long section of hose feeding tanks on the upper floor.

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
That's a good point. But if it rattles excessively, you should go to the youtube vid on how to quiet up your air pump. My bird hates the sound of the pumb and will walk out of the room every time. He also know's how to turn on his flute music. Smart little bugger. He seems fascinated by the white fish I have. He even feeds them sometimes just so he can watch them. I think the PETA people are hypersensitive about the whales and dolphins being put in small pools where they can't use their eco location. But there not fish. I've seen tanks where I was completely comfortable with a wild fish being kept. They probably live longer than in the wild. Most hobbits are very responsible. I think Ingrid is kind of an extreme nutball.

Glenn

Glenn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store