What do you believe is cruelty or abuse when it comes to fish?

JoshM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Evanston, IL
Not feeding your fish and doing frequent water changes, keeping many fish in a small tank, and not knowing which species work well with each other.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I feel the same way, especially when it comes to exotic animals like parrots. I used to run a small-scale rescue out of my home until it got way too emotionally taxing. You'd be surprised how many people want to dump their parrots because they are too loud, destructive, messy, time-consuming, needy, etc. If only they had researched before actually getting one, they would have known these things. :/ Same goes with fish, people think they are easy pets when they aren't.
If you take into consideration water chemistry among other things they are probably the most difficult yet the most rewarding to me.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
Whether we are or not, that doesn't mean we are wrong. There are just so many uneducated people out there who go and get fish. IMO you should need to take and pass a test to get a permit to keep a specific animal, otherwise you don't have it!
Funny you say that I was talking to a volunteer at a local animal shelter, about how if a permit was required to own a dog or cat we would not see so many in the shelters. But as good of an idea as that sounds it's not! Once you allow them to regulate you like that we are all done..
But to the Op ?? I do not understand how people can not use the simple things like google,bing, or any search engine to get a better understanding of what they are about to get into, I feel the biggest crime against fish are the uneducated.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Funny you say that I was talking to a volunteer at a local animal shelter, about how if a permit was required to own a dog or cat we would not see so many in the shelters. But as good of an idea as that sounds it's not! Once you allow them to regulate you like that we are all done..
But to the Op ?? I do not understand how people can not use the simple things like google,bing, or any search engine to get a better understanding of what they are about to get into, I feel the biggest crime against fish are the uneducated.

ya,,, those regulated drivers licenses sure keep everybody off the road...wrong argument pards

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Read it again

the case that pet licenses are over regulation and will hurt ownership ,wasn't the point? if not what is ...and if it is it's wrong ,, it will just mean a few less idiots have pets....didn't say you said it ,sorry if that was implied ...

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
BTW ,,ARIZONA does license dogs(not cats though)...it doesn't effect the shelters or ownership in any way other than to fund shelters(good outcome)

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I bashed a trouts head with pillars today and ate it lol... Fun fishing! But on a more serious note just ignoring the fish as in lack of water changes, starvation, or just plain maintenance.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Proper education is what is needed and not the education people are getting in the media now. Here is an example Alberta just tried to hold a horse round up. Guess what kind of people showed up and ruined it. The only thing any one heard was that these were native wild horses and they deserved to be there. The truth was those horses had only been feral out in our mountains 70 years at most. These horse should all be removed from our mountains to provide more food for our native wildlife.
The point I am trying to make is that animal rights were educating the public and the truth was never told. A true fact education of pet owners is needed I agree. My father set up our farm as a place for people to bring their unwanted dogs and cats. It has helped cut down on the number of stray dogs and cats being left to run wild in the country side.
With our fish I believe there is still a lot to learn about what will make them happy. In my opinion I still think for the most part a tank is still way safer than the wild. We will never get rid of people who don't care but we can help those who do and make mistakes without knowing it. MFK is doing a good job of educating fish keepers and the ones who learn will spread their knowledge to those they know.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Personally, i dont think birds should be kept as pets. The idea of clipping the wings of a creature with the ability to fly makes my stomach turn.

I think the golden rule applies to all pets. If you would enjoy being your pet, then its probably ok. With obvious exceptions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store