What frozen foods do you feed your G.Poly

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Frank Castle Frank Castle , thats what i like to hear, and since im heading out to fish strett, i will be checking some out...

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Frank Castle Frank Castle , thats what i like to hear, and since im heading out to fish strett, i will be checking some out...
ya, they should hit them like a ton of bricks. When I 1st gave it to them, they grabbed and retracted back into their hole with such force the clam shell just sheared right off when it hit the opening of the hole since it was way too big to fit through the gap. The Moray didn't even struggle a bit....it was lightning-fast. Straight-up Terminator-mode

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Frank Castle Frank Castle , hopefully that will happen with mine, coz im running out of ideas what to feed them...

Attempting to starve them a few days again atm, then going to try Carni Sticks + FD Krill, and if that still doesnt work, then feed clams and see how we go...

Reactions: tlindsey

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Frank Castle Frank Castle , hopefully that will happen with mine, coz im running out of ideas what to feed them...

Attempting to starve them a few days again atm, then going to try Carni Sticks + FD Krill, and if that still doesnt work, then feed clams and see how we go...
Dude, if it helps, mine will only take food 2 times a week MAX....I used to breed and raise snakes, so my take on something long and slender that eats large prey items, is : It simply takes several days to digest larger meals. I have had mine for about 3-4 weeks and I think they have only accepted food 4 times. I know it's a fish and not a snake, but I imagine their physiology is somewhat similar regarding stomach size, rate of digestion and how quickly they want to eat again after a large meal. The reason I say this is because after feeding them an appropriately-sized fillet or whatnot, they just don't want the 2nd portion. They fill up quickly from what I have seen.

I wish I could help more, but I literally am a Noob myself and I have about a month of actual "Keeping" experience with Morays.....the only other experience I have with them is from snorkeling, fishing, observation at public aquariums, and talking with other people who have knowledge of them

Again, don't hold it against me if my advice is not accurate, I'm simply an unexperienced Moray-keeper using the scientific method to conclude answers from observation and data. Your experience may differ.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Frank Castle Frank Castle , dont worry, we're all here to learn and help each other out as best we can...

But you are right about the meals part, i was doing some research last night on them, and read its actually bad to feed morays too often, so your meal plan of once every 4 days may be a good idea...

I was during the first 2 weeks doing 1 small meal a day since i would give them only about 20min to find and eat as much frozen prawn as they wanted before removing the extra...

Then went to every 2 days feeding, mainly coz when i got them they were kind of thin, so now that they have put on a little weight, might go feeding them every 3-4 days like my puffer before and see if they do better accepting new foods...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Frank Castle Frank Castle , dont worry, we're all here to learn and help each other out as best we can...

But you are right about the meals part, i was doing some research last night on them, and read its actually bad to feed morays too often, so your meal plan of once every 4 days may be a good idea...

I was during the first 2 weeks doing 1 small meal a day since i would give them only about 20min to find and eat as much frozen prawn as they wanted before removing the extra...

Then went to every 2 days feeding, mainly coz when i got them they were kind of thin, so now that they have put on a little weight, might go feeding them every 3-4 days like my puffer before and see if they do better accepting new foods...
lol you wanna hear something REALLY weird?

I swear both of mine have doubled in weight since I got them last month.....idk how that's possible with that type of feeding regiment, maybe they just hit growth spurts at a certain size?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Frank Castle Frank Castle , I was reading if fed too often, any un-digested food can get regurgitated by the eel, so maybe the sparse feeding is ensuring they digest their whole meal???

And therefore, you're seeing them put on more and more weight...

I mean i tried asking one guy on YT that has bunch of them and kept them for over a year what he feeds and his regiment, but never got a reply... So yeah, lots of trial and error to get it right...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Frank Castle Frank Castle , I was reading if fed too often, any un-digested food can get regurgitated by the eel, so maybe the sparse feeding is ensuring they digest their whole meal???

And therefore, you're seeing them put on more and more weight...

I mean i tried asking one guy on YT that has bunch of them and kept them for over a year what he feeds and his regiment, but never got a reply... So yeah, lots of trial and error to get it right...
That just goes to support my theory that they are more like snakes than we yet understand, as snakes will do the same thing....regurgitate. Also makes me curious as to WHY exactly feeding too often is bad for them since feeding snakes too often result in Fatty-Liver Disease due to the fact that rats and mice are high in cholesterol.

Also, I meant to ask you, what are your water temps and parameters and salinity (if any)?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Frank Castle Frank Castle , Temp doesn't drop below about 26'C (highest would be around 28'C-29'C in the summer) / Readings are always pretty low except for Nitrate that raises a bit towards the end of the week (if i haven't done a water change mid week) / Salinity is pure freshwater since i'm keeping Gymnothorax Polyuranadon...

Now as for the fatty-liver disease, with these guys i read its not so much the liver, but something to do with the fat building up in their head area??? Although i didn't read the whole article, since it was (as expected) based on S/W morays, but it did break them up into the different moray families...

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

And therefore, you're seeing them put on more and more and more weight....
Makes perfect sense. A snake that eats every week and regurgitates will not gain, but LOSE weight. Traditionally we were always taught smaller more frequent meals are better for snakes, that just being one of several reasons.
Frank Castle Frank Castle , Temp doesn't drop below about 26'C (highest would be around 28'C-29'C in the summer) / Readings are always pretty low except for Nitrate that raises a bit towards the end of the week (if i haven't done a water change mid week) / Salinity is pure freshwater since i'm keeping Gymnothorax Polyuranadon...

Now as for the fatty-liver disease, with these guys i read its not so much the liver, but something to do with the fat building up in their head area??? Although i didn't read the whole article, since it was (as expected) based on S/W morays, but it did break them up into the different moray families...
Frilled dragons share this problem....it is why they advise against feeding them too many rodents, but unlike snakes, the fatty build-up occurs in the head and eye-area in the form of white bumps.

I'm converting mine to Brackish next month, it says regardless if we both have 2 different "FW-Morays", both polyuranadon and tiles do better in Brackish as adults and are more likely to breed.

Have you tried bumping the temperature up a little during these cold winter months when alot of animals stop or slow their feeding? Higher temperatures in ectotherms mean faster digestion and sped-up metabolism. Wouldn't surprise me if it made a difference, I remember reading Morays can feel a 2 F degree difference. If it's uncomfortable to them they will react to it one way or another.

I'm thinking trying to keep these guys at as constant temps as possible might be the best thing for us.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store