What is the coolest fish you have seen at petsmart or petco

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My petsmart almost always has ctenopoma leaf fish. Just goes to show you the variance between individual stores.
Another cool petco fish was a hillstream once. Also cuckoo catfish. They’ve also been getting a lot of electric jacks recently.
My brother also told me he saw what looked like a gold Dempsey, he couldn’t remember many more details. So to this day I am questioning if it was a pink jack or a jag.
I find that petco has a more rare selection, but terrible health.
Petsmart has a much more commonplace stocking but generally healthier fish.
Except the dwarf frogs, I had toy store frogs that lived for 3 years, best I could do with a petsmart frog was a year.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I guess the coolest that I can recall ever seeing would be the Ctenopoma acutirastre.That's probably not saying very much but those stores(the stores in my area,anyhow) dont seem to bring anything other than the most commonly kept novice level aquarium fish.
same here

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I see a lot of bichirs at petsmarts and for petco it was like an elephant something, it had a long nose. weird fish don't even remember the name.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Elephant nose fish. Related to knives.
I want one so bad but just don’t have the proper tank.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Elephant nose fish. Related to knives.
I want one so bad but just don’t have the proper tank.
I honestly think they are one of the ugliest fish out their imo. Them and the baby whale fish.

As for the rarest fish I've seen in a big chain store, it would probably have to be the one time I seen a Thai Silk FH being sold at Petco for like $180.
No clue how they got it or why they got it but I do know it took em a couple months to sell that FH. Granted this was like 7-8 years ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store