what is the most reliable and longest lasting heater?

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
what about the fluval heaters with digital readout? i'm considering getting one. anyone ever used one? they also have a casing to prevent fish from touching the heating element.

mfgl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
PA
I like stealths. I can tell if they are working by watching the thermometer....or reaching in and touching it...only one part of my 250w one really gets hot. I like the way they look, and I personally dont like the red indicator light of glass ones. Any tank Ive had with aggressive fish always attack the light. Esp the Oscars, they broke alot of heaters till I got a stealth.

StogieC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
Port Orange, FL (Daytona)
My oscar got pi$$ed and destroyed his Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater yesterday. Glass all over the tank... He cut himself, but not too bad. :eek:

Getting the Visi-Therm Stealth now.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I use Visi Therm Stealth heaters exclusively…

I like their black / non glass design. Easy to hide, hard to break…

I like to glance at a heater and know if it turns on/off… but I hate having a little orange glowing dot in the tank when lights are out…

I do not use / trust the auto shut off feature… I have all the heaters & filters for each tank plugged into a common strip… so I can turn the heaters & filters for each tank off with the push of one button while doing maintenance…

I feel many heaters fail due to user error, and then the heater is blamed for the failure. I find 2 W per gallon is plenty big enough when the desired tank temp is 15*F or less higher than the room temperature. Using “more heater’ than this causes the heater to turn itself on/off more often, thus wearing out the feature that turns itself on/off, thus overheating the tank…

“more is better” isn’t always true…

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
wow! I never heard fish attacking heaters! here we have 2 cases where oscars gone wild! I have the regular visi-therm deluxe heaters (300w) & they reach the accurate temp setting pretty quickly & yes the red light comes on, but not so often. I don't mind the light & my fish don't either. strange!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store