What is this? A blood parrot? A red devil? A Midas? A hybrid?

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
I don't think it would be a good idea unless you had another tank for it. Here's the reason why: its new tankmates (your current stock) might not help the situation and might make it worse.
I have a 1/2 gallon breeding box I was gana put him in when I get him until he puts on size or if he’s getting chased/stressed out. Also surprisingly the convicts are pretty chill. Also I think it’s a blue acara not a gt if that changes anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
To the op's original question about the fish it looks like one of two possibilities to me

a 'devil' parrot (75% devil-25% parrot) 100% devil crossed with a 50/50 devil-parrot cichlid

OR

a Rose Queen which is a combo of:

A hybrid of the Midas (Amphilophus citrinellus) and Red Devil cichlids (Amphilophus labiatus), Redhead Cichlid (Vieja synspilum), or Red Spotted Cichlid (Vieja bifasciatum).

Once you described the crazy aggression it fits. Rose Queens are usually loud deep pink but can look pinkish piebald or pink orange. Depends on the combo. Some will show the textured pattern of the redhead or red spotted cichlid.

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
To the op's original question about the fish it looks like one of two possibilities to me

a 'devil' parrot (75% devil-25% parrot) 100% devil crossed with a 50/50 devil-parrot cichlid

OR

a Rose Queen which is a combo of:

A hybrid of the Midas (Amphilophus citrinellus) and Red Devil cichlids (Amphilophus labiatus), Redhead Cichlid (Vieja synspilum), or Red Spotted Cichlid (Vieja bifasciatum).

Once you described the crazy aggression it fits. Rose Queens are usually loud deep pink but can look pinkish piebald or pink orange. Depends on the combo. Some will show the textured pattern of the redhead or red spotted cichlid.
Thank you, I had to end up giving him to my local fish store and they gave him in a 75 gallon right now and he is doing great. He does look a lot like a rose queen I didn’t even know they existed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store