May 11, 2009
New York
Nice to see that everything has gotten at least one vote. :D

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Voted tropical gar myself. I prefer the atractosteus genus, and this gar has some of the most variable patterns. Gets to a good size yet the average monster aquarist can house one. Isn't as sensitive as a cuban. All around interesting fish, hope I can find one eventually.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Back when I kept a few gars I wasn't sure exactly which species I had as every store here seems to label all of them as alligator gars and I wasn't aware that there were so many different types available...I cast my vote for A.calva.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It HAS to be the cuban gar. They are one of the rarest and most beautiful of the gars. i love the creamy colour of it. it just stands out of all the black and silver markings of all the rest of the gar species. BTW, a bowfin isn't in the gar family.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
It HAS to be the cuban gar. They are one of the rarest and most beautiful of the gars. i love the creamy colour of it. it just stands out of all the black and silver markings of all the rest of the gar species. BTW, a bowfin isn't in the gar family.
Not sure if you read the first post, but I know that. They are the closest living relative to the gar and were added just for fun.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
The bowfin with its ability to eat things bigger than its own head, makes this fish too cool 'to' school!

Having raised one from a 4" 'fry' to a 15" monster fish that eats from my hand was definitely a rewarding fishkeeping experience! I just wish I had the monster tank to house him right. :irked:

bobtan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2011
singapore
Choice:GatorxSpotted hybrid. saw it on solomons web and straight away liked it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store