voted LNG, but specifically ones that look similar to this:

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com

(if you're gar crazy, you know where this pic is from)

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I do... it's of of my favorite photos as well. Really kick started my gar obsession seeing that.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com

(if you're gar crazy, you know where this pic is from)
hahaha...shot that at Richard's place of work about 7 years ago (with an ancient camera too)!--
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Richard, where are these longnose gars from? These have been the only ones that I've seen to display this much bold spotting.
These particular ones are from a study population that is near Lake St. Clair in Michigan. Detroit river fish are Similar as well. The whole Southeast and some areas in the Southwest and Northwest of Michigan really has some populations that are particularly bold in pattern.

I do however think that some of this, pattern wise, was from the fishes genetics and some was from being raised in captivity under certain conditions that favor such a bold pattern.

Here BTW is a much earlier photo of the same two fish:

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
These particular ones are from a study population that is near Lake St. Clair in Michigan. Detroit river fish are Similar as well. The whole Southeast and some areas in the Southwest and Northwest of Michigan really has some populations that are particularly bold in pattern.

I do however think that some of this, pattern wise, was from the fishes genetics and some was from being raised in captivity under certain conditions that favor such a bold pattern.

Here BTW is a much earlier photo of the same two fish:
Ah, okay, that makes sense to me. Also, what might be those conditions that promote a bold pattern?

Gars do not eat pellets BTW.....
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store