What kind of fish, 30 Gallon Tank (Saltwater)

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
I would recommend a flame hawkfish. They perch themselves on rocks and coral and have a ton of personality. I had one for years, he would beg for food whenever I got near the tank. 30 gal is plenty big for them to live a long time.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
flame hawks would eventually need a larger tank with more hiding places....also their diet normally consists of some species of inverts...so be careful.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
Don't limit yourself to just hardy fish... For your tank size, you could get a flame angel which have much more vibrant colors then a clown or chromis but that's just my opinion.
Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
personally i think that a 30 gallon is just too small for any dwarf angel... and although you may be doing research now, you're going to be jumping in feet first and just getting wet... so you're probably best off to be sticking to the hardy fish to begin with and you have the hang of the basics down.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
personally i think that a 30 gallon is just too small for any dwarf angel... and although you may be doing research now, you're going to be jumping in feet first and just getting wet... so you're probably best off to be sticking to the hardy fish to begin with and you have the hang of the basics down.
I've often thought the samething on numerous posts - dwarf angels get as large as firemouths - and we keep one of those only in 30 without 30% of the water displaced by rocks and sand - however dwarf angels aren't firemouths these guys swim constantly 55 is better husbandry IMO - and after owning a coral beauty and red flame angel they are pretty aggressive lil' fish when they want to be might not end well if other fish share the same tank for a long period of time.

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
flame hawks would eventually need a larger tank with more hiding places....also their diet normally consists of some species of inverts...so be careful.
Had a flame hawk in a 20gal long with about 20 or so hermits. It was his home for 2 years. I moved, my mom got him and the tank, he lived another 3 years. They wont bother hermits, maybe that cleaner shrimp of yours though.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Would any of you recommend a tang( doubt it, the tank is too small) but I do like the idea of challenging myself with a less hardy fish when my tank is all together and I am starting to get the hang of things in the saltwater life.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Would any of you recommend a tang( doubt it, the tank is too small) but I do like the idea of challenging myself with a less hardy fish when my tank is all together and I am starting to get the hang of things in the saltwater life.

Definitely not a tang but there are other fish that aren't as hardy that would be good for a 30 gal other then tangs

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan

tang. no. way. no. how.
Tangs need lots of room to swim back and forth. they aren't a vertical column swimmer. their body is a slim streamline position because all they do is zoom forward and kind of glide horizontally.

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
Agreed, tangs would not be a good choice. You might find it reasonable to get a smaller wrasse, or blenny. The size of the tank really determines what you can have, more so in saltwater.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Small wrasse like 6 line but still might not be enuff room for this non stop worm hunter.

Others - Royal gramma basslet, dwarf cherub angel, jawfish, black cap basslet, hectors goby, neon dottyback

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store