What Should You Medicate Dats With?

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Personally, I don't use any medication on my dats. Recently when my heaters failed when I was away for the weekend and my tank was at 65 degrees and there was an ich breakout. I thought I was going to lose my dats but I treated with salt and raised the temp and I ended up saving all of my dats...but I lost two of my red-hump geos.

Just remember that when you increase the temp to treat make sure you are pumping a TON of air into the tank.

dbenson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
KenyanSandBoa;898180; said:
Just remember that when you increase the temp to treat make sure you are pumping a TON of air into the tank.
Excellent point. Warmer water holds less oxygen. Raising the temp can be dangerous when dealing with gill-related diseases, as the fish is already getting less O2 than normal.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I have used maracyn and maracyn two on my dats for a nasty bacterial problem and I believe it said it treated gill flukes also... but after half a treatment I noticed improvement in my pulchers wich were about dead and the one is 9inch and other 4-5 inch

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
Ive kept a close eye on my fish and have found small white spots on my baby oscar so ive turned up the temp and started treatment with a Waterlfe product Protozin hopefully this will do the trick, I've had the treatment going on for 3 days now and can safely say there have been no ill effects from this product. Also a friend of mine used Octozin another waterlife product to treat fungus on his Dat and treated it successfully.

I've tried other meds before like metonizadole which aint to good for the biological filter and threw my tanks balance out of whack and also praziquantel which seemed to worsen my Dats breathing and resulted in death.

So far i give the Waterlife products a thumbs up as there have been no ill effects so far, it also does not effect the biological filter and doesn't color or stain your water and tank.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I would use half dose of , RID-ICK...along with raising the temp, adding a little kosher salt
Flashing is not normal for tiger fish!

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
I used a powerhead to increase aeration and used flaw and furazone green. I also add salt with every weekly water change. Best thing is to do a lot of water changes. It worked for me. Good thing you caught it early. I lost 3 last time because I saw it too late. But you can cure it.

Pershaun Starks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
chicago
i been keeping dats for years now as they always say a hospital tank is recomended there is a brand of fish meds named tank buddies you can get them for flukes , fungus, tail and fin rot alot to chose from they work fine and they take alot of the guess work out of it. In closing i was reading the post up in the forum I just have to say a fish that is still breathing can be saved.
THANX FOR LISTENING!

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
its been five days now and there is no improvement in my dat he is still scratching the crap out of himself on one side of his gill and no visible signs of white spot though the baby oscar i have in there that had white spot has improved heaps.

Ive now done a water change added stress coat, salt and put carbon into the filter to remove the protozin med i have put in there.

Ive got a feeling my dat has flukes and am going to treat with Sterazin after a couple of days waitng for the other med to clear out.

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
nothing like extra clean water;)

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
Ok I've started the treatment of a waterlife product Sterazin and have almost completed the treatment, there is one more dose to go I can safely say that this product works and works well my dat has returned to normal behaviour and no longer scratches.

This is my second dat, the first one i had treated with praziquantel to the bottle directions as soon as i added the Prazi my dat who was rapid breathing headed straight for the surface the fish ended up dying of suffocation and its gills had swollen up and clumped together.

I can say after using these Waterlife products Protozin and Sterazin are safe and effective so next time your dat is scratching or you suspect flukes i reckon sterazins a goer! Stay away from Prazi! Maybe it could alright if you under dose but better off not taking the chance.

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store