What species of geo are these ?

Kevin@TUIC

Dovii
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Geophagus winemilleri have the striped tail and 4 bars. dicrozoster has 7 bars, similar tail, and both will have the black cheek mark. Abalios will also have the same tail but without the cheek mark. All 3 export out of colombia and are often collected together. When I ask for them from my fisherman i just ask for geophagus in whatever qty I need for at that time and what i get is what i get. its usually a mix of all 3. Abalios by far, out number the winemilleri and they for sure outnumber the dicroz when found.
Dicrozoster also have a leaner, more streamlined body. Which in juveniles is really noticeable.

Last edited:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I was going to say-- doesn't mean no one could tell from those photos, Kevin's one of the guys I'd trust, but for me I'd feel better seeing them settled in a tank. Faded bars, faded spots or cheek marks, small fish not showing a cheek mark yet, some photos are tricky and I've seen a lot of bad guesses. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Geophagus winemilleri have the striped tail and 4 bars. Dicrozoster has 7 bars, similar tail, and both will have the black cheek mark. Abalios will also have the same tail but without the cheek mark. All 3 export out of colombia and are often collected together. When I ask for them from my fisherman i just ask for geophagus in whatever qty I need for at that time and what i get is what i get. its usually a mix of all 3. Abalios by far, out number the winemilleri and they for sure outnumber the dicroz when found.
Dicrozoster also have a leaner, more streamlined body. Which in juveniles is really noticeable.
Thanks. Yea i have pretty much identified them as 4 dicrozoster; 2 abalios and one likely abalios (there were 7 fishes). Abalios seem to be significantly less expensive than winemilleri and dicrozoster seem to be nearly the same as winemilleri. You describe them as looking fairly similar; is the price difference a 'rarity' factor or are winemilleri adult richer in colour.

Here are some closer picture alas not all 7 since they have spread out (I have them in a 500):

probably abalios
geox4.jpg

g. abalios top and g. Dicrozoster below

geox3.jpg

likely g. abalios
geox2.jpg

I think this is a repeat of the first fish (2 sets of pictures taken at different times).

geox1.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most of these Geophagus from Amazonia, were once considered simply one species, with riverine location varients by lumpers.
So the difference are very minute, so telling them apart requires very clear, concise, photographs, with features such as caudal stripes, spots on gill pates, and jaws predominantly displayed o tell them apart.
Although these below are not Geophagines, here is what I mean by detailed photos.
IMG_0087.jpegIMG_9524.jpegIMG_7821.jpegIMG_7814.jpeg.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Most of these Geophagus from Amazonia, were once considered simply one species, with riverine location varients by lumpers.
So the difference are very minute, so telling them apart requires very clear, concise, photographs, with features such as caudal stripes, spots on gill pates, and jaws predominantly displayed o tell them apart.
Although these below are not Geophagines, here is what I mean by detailed photos.
View attachment 1537323View attachment 1537324View attachment 1537325View attachment 1537326.
I think we got the id down pretty tight based on stress marks and gill marking. One thing that i am curious (given that they were once considered one species); is do they frequently interbred in the wild. My understanding is the a,w and d are frequently found and caught together so this would make me think perhaps naively that some interbreeding is occurring...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store