What tankmates do you guys have with your polys?

Mrs. Snakeage

Feeder Fish
Sep 20, 2014
Seattle, WA
My polypterus senegalus which grew from 2" to 8" in about 6 months, has been sharing a tank with a mess of guppies and now swordtails. For a long time it ate very few of the guppies even (it's a heavily planted tank with lots of floating plants though). I put the guppies in there as feeders hoping the plants would let enough survive for a while - which did work up until lately when it got to its current size. And, it has recently eaten a tetra or two. When it was in a more varied community tank it ignored the faster tetras and a big angelfish (surprisingly with those long pectoral fins), but it did chew the fins off a betta which was dumb enough and slow enough to get right in miz bichir's face while they were being fed. Anyway now that it's this big it's clear that that big mouth can fit bigger fish and she's got enough muscle to speed up and catch the smaller ones. Unfortunately I need to re-home the Beast because I can't afford the time and space for a 50 gallon which I think it needs at this size. I knew it would grow big but sadly must part. It's in a 29 gallon tank and getting restless! Beautiful fish and utterly fascinating to watch. Someday I'll get bichirs again. I hope to sell it to someone who has a 50 gallon with big tankmates. . .I was reading this thread to see what to watch out for.

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
2 del 2 sengals with JD 2 plecos a BLAck ghost knife, Id shark, and a Tire track eel. The jd TT eel and plecos will be moved very soon. haven't had any problems tho had a peacock eel go missing but couldn't say if it was my del or TT eel.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hmmm, i have so many fish with my bichirs... spiny eels, tiger eels, elephant noses, geos, plecos (L25 and L114 to be exact), angelfish, pearl gouramis, severums, gars, synodontis, nandus nandus, nandus nebulous and some pictus cats :) not all in the same tank and not all at once but they have all been with my bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store