What's your FAV dog breed??

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
german shepherds because my mum got me a puppy to grow up with when i was 6 months old. we were like 2 peas in a pod.

JenTN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Doberman is my favorite. Incredibley smart and trainable. However, they MUST be indoor dogs, have a ton of exercise and will stick to you like velcro. A bored/cooped up Doberman is NOT a good thing.

P.S.- not to sound all preachy, but fwiw please research breeders/rescues carefully. Especially with the "protective" breeds their are a lot of bad breeders that produce dogs with weak nerves/health problems etc. A rottie/doberman/etc. with weak nerves can sometimes be a bite lawsuit waiting to happen. General rule of thumb is to find a breeder that titles their ***** in one venue or another- working, conformation (showing). There are several Doberman "greeders" that will sell you a puppy for $3000 who has championships way back in the pedigree- most puppies will have a championship here or there. But you can get a dog that's sire and dam are titled and fully health tested for less. It's like this in all breeds.

If you don't have to have a purebred, there are a ton of mixes of the breeds you mentioned in the shelters. The dog in my avatar (no longer have him, sadly) came from a shelter. He is a lab/great dane mix (we think) and he has awesome protection instincts, is great with people, not an ounce of aggression, loves kids, and is freaking smart as all get out! But, if I get another dog it will be a Doberman next time :)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Belgian Tervurens and New Foundlands

seaofdreams

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Why are you specifically looking for a "guard dog"?
Certain breeds are used for guarding because of their tendancy towards aggression which poses a whole set of issues that you have to be aware of.
A dog that is truely a guard dog is not a family or pet dog, their training makes them far too dangerous to be around people and a dog that is kept as a pet shouldn't be encouraged to be territorial or aggressive.

seaofdreams

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
JenTN;3316299; said:
Doberman is my favorite. Incredibley smart and trainable. However, they MUST be indoor dogs, have a ton of exercise and will stick to you like velcro. A bored/cooped up Doberman is NOT a good thing.

P.S.- not to sound all preachy, but fwiw please research breeders/rescues carefully. Especially with the "protective" breeds their are a lot of bad breeders that produce dogs with weak nerves/health problems etc. A rottie/doberman/etc. with weak nerves can sometimes be a bite lawsuit waiting to happen. General rule of thumb is to find a breeder that titles their ***** in one venue or another- working, conformation (showing). There are several Doberman "greeders" that will sell you a puppy for $3000 who has championships way back in the pedigree- most puppies will have a championship here or there. But you can get a dog that's sire and dam are titled and fully health tested for less. It's like this in all breeds.

If you don't have to have a purebred, there are a ton of mixes of the breeds you mentioned in the shelters. The dog in my avatar (no longer have him, sadly) came from a shelter. He is a lab/great dane mix (we think) and he has awesome protection instincts, is great with people, not an ounce of aggression, loves kids, and is freaking smart as all get out! But, if I get another dog it will be a Doberman next time :)
:iagree: You don't sound preachy, you made some great points. It's fantastic that so many more people are adopting their pets rather than purchasing them from petstores and the like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store