Where do you get your driftwood?

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I get my driftwood from a nearby lake with dozens of stumps.
Heres my 300 gallon with a huge stump i found in a creek by my house.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424105910.419509.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424105964.219778.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424106101.940237.jpg

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
If you are into manzanita wood , try Manzanita.com and speak with Rich, he has some awesome pieces on his website.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Manzman on the vendor forums for cool branches and petmountain for the logs. The local wood here is all spruce so I don't use it in my tanks.

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
I collect from local rivers. In my 26 years in this hobby I have only bought one piece of driftwood.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
LFS. It's crazy overpriced in my opinion, but I'd rather put in the extra cash than have to figure out how to disinfect and sink a large piece of wood. My favorite, by far, is Malaysian driftwood. Sinks immediately and takes a very long time to decay. Mopani is good for the same reasons, but it leeches tannins like no other wood I've used. One piece that I've had for 3-4 months is still turning my water deep yellow.

I'd like to try Manzanita sometime, but I've never seen it for sale around here. Though there is one store in my area that sells "spider wood" which looks even better, so I might try that at some point.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
LFS. It's crazy overpriced in my opinion, but I'd rather put in the extra cash than have to figure out how to disinfect and sink a large piece of wood. My favorite, by far, is Malaysian driftwood. Sinks immediately and takes a very long time to decay. Mopani is good for the same reasons, but it leeches tannins like no other wood I've used. One piece that I've had for 3-4 months is still turning my water deep yellow.

I'd like to try Manzanita sometime, but I've never seen it for sale around here. Though there is one store in my area that sells "spider wood" which looks even better, so I might try that at some point.
these malaysian driftwoods u guys talking bout? any sample pics? im living in malaysia and i do not how to identify these malaysian driftwoods.. i have these driftwoods, very hard and heavy but it takes quite a long time to sink. found it in some palm oil plantation. has a nice hole right through it horizontally.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
these malaysian driftwoods u guys talking bout? any sample pics? im living in malaysia and i do not how to identify these malaysian driftwoods.. i have these driftwoods, very hard and heavy but it takes quite a long time to sink. found it in some palm oil plantation. has a nice hole right through it horizontally.
This is the only piece I am using at the moment; it's in my 225 gallon tank. Very dense and heavy, and they typically sink like a rock as soon as they hit the water.
tank2.JPG

The first 16 results in this google search look like what I'd call Malaysian driftwood.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mal...PhsASX8YDICw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1366&bih=653

tank2.JPG

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Here's a picture of some that I bought at my lfs that was considered "XL" (connected with a small piece). Although they are dense and no issues sinking, I was thinking that's because I bought it and it waterlogged already for the sale. I boiled each of the large pieces for about an hour each in hopes to reduce the leaching tannins.

WP_20150208_004.jpg

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I have Malaysian and Mopani driftwood which I bought from the LFS. They've been my tanks for many years and some are starting to break down. I also have some Manzanita that I collected off my mom's property. I've had the Manzanita for I guess 4-5 years and it's still in really good shape, not breaking down. I really love the coloring of the Manzanita.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store