Where do you get your driftwood?

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
What do you guys do to prep/clean the pieces before you put them in the tank?
I scrub it down with a coil brush and water to remove all loose chunks or detritus, then I boil it a few times and let it soak for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
I use a stiff brush and screw driver to remove any loose or soft material. The spray down with the hose. If the wood was found in the water I let it dry out. After it dries out or if it was found already dry. I either let it soak until it sinks or fasten it to a rock to get it to sink. I have never boiled it in 26 years in this hobby and have never had any issue. Wood I find in the water or wood that was once in the water usually have little to no tannins. I have tried boiling wood before but quit as it seemed that boiling broke down the wood faster.

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
I'm one of the lazier ones, I usually let it dry out to kill anything living in it and then boil it for maybe 30 minutes. Scrape off any loose parts that were weakened from boiling and then toss it in.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
The best driftwood I have found has been from a local trout stream. The current is swift, by Michigan standards and the pieces I choose have a nice sanded look. I have also collected some from the Lake Michigan shoreline but there is a lot of competition there because people like it for landscaping.

I treat it by boiling it for a while and scrubbing with a stiff brush. Some of it has to be weighted down which I have done by drilling slate and running an aluminum screw into the wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store