Wheres a good LFS in the NY area.. city or upstate.. suggestions?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
The owners of Fishhut are nice guys... there selection of fish other than africans is what sucks.. sorry about that. Absolutely is absolutely ridiculous on there prices (they get the same fish from the same wholesalers at double the price). Aquascape is great as a LFS but you are correct there online stock does not always match what is there. Shark is cool but George is ornery...lol

FYI some of the peeps from the former rt4 are now at NJ Exotics in Lodi Nj. still building up the fresh water but salt prices are good.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I agree with everything you about all the lfs though I still like absolutely fish's tanks by far the cleanest tank out of the lfs I go too another thing there staff sucks most are just kids learning as they go

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
If you are ever in the Newburgh NY area of Orange County I would recommend "The Pet Stop" it's a small local pet-store that has great selections of freshwater and saltwater fish plants and corals, they get rare species from time to time and they are happy to try to find it for you if they don't have it in stock. They can be a bit pricey but they are cool people so the managers will haggle with you sometimes. Overall this is my #1 preferred pet place for the upstate ny area I have searched all around and I keep coming back to this one. They have exotic animals too like monkeys to large parrots. Definitely a must see :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I actually was at the pet shop in newburgh over the weekend... they had a nice selection of fish, but at the same time, nothing "rare" or hard to find... it was cool though seeing that huge turtle just roaming around the sales floor lol

I'm going to check out The Shark Aquarium today! ..

thanks all for the suggestions!.. if anyone left out a good spot, let me know!.. thanks agaiN!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You should be happy with shark aquarium let me know if they have any chocolate cichlids or sevs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
Of the NJ stores mentioned, Shark aquarium is my favorite. I differ from others regarding NYC stores. I like Pacific Aquarium though it is hit or miss for rare fish. There is an underground store in Chinatown that I like as well but the name escapes me.
In upper manhattan is a store called Fauna. It will not impress you in terms of fish but you should check it out anyway.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
LOL I love NYers. people in the city refer to anything north of manhattan as upstate. People in upstate (north of albany) consider anything south of albany (downstate) anything Rockland county south is "the city"

Anyways to answer your question. In nanuet/spring valley area there is Pet Place II they have everything and can get anything you would want. Great people to deal with been dealing with them for 15 years.

Bietels in Pearl River is pretty good for SW, if you can deal with the owners loud mouth attitude, but he has great fish. He also doesn't put prices on his tanks so he seems to make up prices on the fly. He also makes custom tanks.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store