Which parrot/bird for me?

Cheetah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Keep in mind they won't mimic a language and there messy eaters.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
Ill keep the toucans in interest but im really more interested in a few typed of parrot.

Heres what I narrowed it down to
Im thinking about getting a timneh african grey,Caique,or senegal parrot.

Anyone have any experience with this place: http://www.birdfarm.com

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
I have been talking to my bird guy, one who I thinks has healthy birds and they are getting a few dusky conures in. They are handfed for 250 each. What do you think?

Jaywing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Arizona
I used to have a quaker parrot. She was mainly quiet, but could say a few words that I taught her. She wasn't that huge, about the size of a sun conure. They are usually green but also come in blue. They are my favorite parrots.. Except for cockatoos

logo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Kansas
Dusky conures are in the genera Aratinga which is the same as the sun conures. Their vocalization will be very similar to the suns and also have a similar personality. Great birds but may be too loud for your description.

I would still go with one from the genera Pyrrhura like a green cheeck. They come in several color variations have great personalities and are quieter.

logo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Kansas
Also if you are looking into a quaker since so many people are suggesting them make sure you look into your state and city laws they are illegal in alot of places.

bullwinkle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
tx
Quakers make a very annoying type of sound. Worse than sun conures, in my humble opinion. How often they make that sound varies by individual bird, but I cannot stand that sound!

Dusky conures are not as loud as suns but they are still loud. All conures are loud. Remember that all baby birds are pretty quiet, but that will change as the bird gets older. $250 is a reasonable price for a handfed dusky.

Caiques are fun but the price is pretty high. I heard they can get very very nasty once they reach sexual maturity and they are also prone to plucking. I know that can happen to any parrot, but I heard Caiques are pretty bad.

I think a Senegal parrot would be a good choice. Or any other parrot in the poicephalus family. Senegals are the most common poicephalus, I think. They are pretty quiet too.

Did your cockatiel give off a lot of dust? I used to have an African Grey and all my stuff was coated in dust! I should have bought an air purifier...

Greys are quiet but they learn sounds very well. The fire alarm in my apartment went off one time and the bird memorized the sound. He also knew my ringtone and the microwave beep. He would make these sounds all the time. It was cute at first but got annoying, especially the fire alarm sound, lol.

And in case you are still considering a severe macaw, they have a reputation for being a bit difficult.

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
There is also a baby handfed electus parrot on craigslist, not to far away. Im going ot look into that.

latshki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
prince edward island, canada
eckies are great birds, similar to greys and double yellow headed amazons
and have a really exotic appeal to them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store