White stringy poop

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Whats the best medicine to treat it assuming it's an internal parasite? It has to be safe for young fish and crawdads.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I've always use prazipro and ill stick by it no matter what. Your fish are probably dealing with some sort of hex. Prazipro will effectively kill ALL parasites while leaving the beneficial bacteria unharmed. First when you put it in the fish will sink and act like their taking a crap, they'll be fine in the next 10 mins so no need to feel alarmed. You need to keep it in the tank for a recommended two weeks I believe? Can't really remember what the bottle states but I'm pretty sure its 2 weeks.. When you water change dose the new water with prazipro and this will kill EVERYTHING you don't want in your tank including in filter media, gravel, hoses, etc.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've always use prazipro and ill stick by it no matter what. Your fish are probably dealing with some sort of hex. Prazipro will effectively kill ALL parasites while leaving the beneficial bacteria unharmed. First when you put it in the fish will sink and act like their taking a crap, they'll be fine in the next 10 mins so no need to feel alarmed. You need to keep it in the tank for a recommended two weeks I believe? Can't really remember what the bottle states but I'm pretty sure its 2 weeks.. When you water change dose the new water with prazipro and this will kill EVERYTHING you don't want in your tank including in filter media, gravel, hoses, etc.
lol little to much faith in prazi...prazi is NOT effective on hexamita. Metro is the preferred treatment.

Reactions: matthewr262

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
90% of the poop in a flat white bit then closer to the fish there's bigger white pieces along with some brown. They're eating and acting normal

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Get some metro, soak their food in it and if you can treat the tank. Epsom salts will also aid in getting rid of hex so you can dose the tank and their food with that as well. Get them treated asap.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
lol little to much faith in prazi...prazi is NOT effective on hexamita. Metro is the preferred treatment.
With metro, all it does it promote fish recovery and aid in hole in head diseases.

What op is talking about is hex which is a totally disease, hex is a internal infection of the intestines. aka stringy white poop. They are not the same disease. Your confused as many fish who start off with hex end up getting hole in the head disease if not treated.

There's no reason to treat with metro as metro is harsh and can damage the fish for the rest of its life. Its not a "safe" drug, treating with metro is a long processes where the worms can gain immunity to metro as low levels are used to avoid organ damage.

OP, if you want to go with metro just know its like putting neosporin on a worm infection on your arm. Its useless, you need to kill off whats inside the fish (worms) that has started the problem. The only way metro would even remotely be helpful at all is to pair it with epsom salt to purge/kill the worms out off his fish. (exactly what prazipro does). I've noticed that epsom salt is rather harsh on the fish while prazipro is gentle and effective. Prazipro does take nearly twice as long as epsom salt to treat but through my experiences it worth it. But end of the day these are my opinions, good luck Op.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I disagree with the HITH, the only cure for hole in the head is pristine water. do the water changes, keep nitrates below 20ppm. 10 better and it will heal, no meds going to fix bad water quality. I use metroplex allot. its a great booster shot every few months.

Reactions: JiujiteiroMike
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store