who else feeds crickets or any different critters

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
http://homeaquaria.com/diy-5-simple-fish-food-recipes/
The recipes listed here are very good and very cost effective. ...plus, they are easy to make.
I have taken centrum vitamins and crushed them into a powder. I would then take a small amount( about a pinch) and put that into a ziploc bag with three or four crickets, shake thoroughly, (like shake and bake lol) and then drop the dusted crickets into the tank....they don't float around long enough to wash the powder off...believe me. I didn't do this more than once or twice a month and I notice amazing color and growth along with rapid injury recovery and disease immunity. I learned the vitamin dusting from a guy that kept aquatic turtles.

QUOTE="DN328, post: 7410515, member: 123514"]Tell me more about powered vitamin dust? What kind and were there negative affects to water, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: DN328

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have "dusted" them with powdered vitamins before feeding to my Oscar....
gutloading crickets is easy...they eat almost anything.
Tell me more about powered vitamin dust? What kind and were there negative affects to water, etc.?

I used to do that and I was thinking about it writing my last post, but I questioned whether the calcium dust actually makes it to the fish's belly or if it dissipates when it hits the water. It seemed like a good idea, but I never figured out the answer after all those years. Are there certain physical features on a fish that calcium might enhance or influence?

http://homeaquaria.com/diy-5-simple-fish-food-recipes/
The recipes listed here are very good and very cost effective. ...plus, they are easy to make.
I have taken centrum vitamins and crushed them into a powder. I would then take a small amount( about a pinch) and put that into a ziploc bag with three or four crickets, shake thoroughly, (like shake and bake lol) and then drop the dusted crickets into the tank....they don't float around long enough to wash the powder off...believe me. I didn't do this more than once or twice a month and I notice amazing color and growth along with rapid injury recovery and disease immunity. I learned the vitamin dusting from a guy that kept aquatic turtles.
^^^^I shoulda read this before I posted LOL. No wonder I had such big healthy fish. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: DN328

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Another thought I just had, female Reptiles burn through calcium at an accelerated speed when gravid and more when close to laying as a result of providing calcium for the shells of their eggs, BUT even Live-bearers like Boas seem to do the same thing even though there is never any tough leathery shell - it's just placenta and a membrane. PERHAPS, breeding fish will utilize extra calcium in their own production of clusters in much the same way Boas do. I mean, I know people who dust MICE for their gravid Boas and long after they give birth too - and go figure mice have bones.

That's a lot of calcium for one animal to process, but supposedly it's necessary .

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/female-jag-not-dropping-eggs.657536/

Scubarod Scubarod

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
I used to feed my fish crickets, when I had a cheap source. Good idea though, might start that again.
Currently my fish eat a ton of fresh tilapia and shrimp that I take from my job as a sushi chef.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I used to feed my fish crickets, when I had a cheap source. Good idea though, might start that again.
Currently my fish eat a ton of fresh tilapia and shrimp that I take from my job as a sushi chef.
What kind of fish you have anyway? IDK what I'm even advising in this damn thread haha. The other dude gives his fish walleye and steelhead....this website is nut-zo LOL I love it here :D

Reactions: ska_kid

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
What kind of fish you have anyway? IDK what I'm even advising in this damn thread haha. The other dude gives his fish walleye and steelhead....this website is nut-zo LOL I love it here :D
Most my fish eat pellets and flake, it's the bichirs and atf that eat the tilapia and shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store