WHOS GOT THE LARGEST GAR HERE?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
where did you get that information since they will most likely take a DNA test when they put the fish in record.
DNA testing was not around then for such purposes and they do not really do it now either... and he is correct that the WORLD record Longnosed is highly suspected to be a Gator X Longnosed.

The largest verified longnosed gar caught was 65". I have never seen any data or records larger than that.

I can't play this game of who's is biggins.. I run a Public aquarium so my fish are of coarse much bigger than the average hobbyist can handle.

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
Right. And in addition, Texas didn't acknowledge that longnose and alligator gar hybridized until a few years ago. There is talk of adding a record category for the hybrids. A couple of years ago the reigning record longnose was removed from the books, and the new record was something over 30 pounds. One or two larger ones were submitted shortly, but it wasn't long before another hybrid was certified as the record by a local game warden. I've seen the pics, it's a hybrid (Croc III by MFK standards). It's really not difficult at all to identify them, if a person realizes that the two species will interbreed. The characteristics are reasonably consistent. I don't really think it's a conspiracy to keep listing hybrids as longnose, it's just that a lot of people will recognize that a gar isn't an alligator gar, and the more slender nose causes a default to the longnose listing. The 75 inch hybrid that I have mounted looks more like a longnose than gator gar, but the scales show the typical "crinkling" on about the upper half, and the snout is proportionally intermediate in length and width between the two species.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Right. And in addition, Texas didn't acknowledge that longnose and alligator gar hybridized until a few years ago. There is talk of adding a record category for the hybrids. A couple of years ago the reigning record longnose was removed from the books, and the new record was something over 30 pounds. One or two larger ones were submitted shortly, but it wasn't long before another hybrid was certified as the record by a local game warden. I've seen the pics, it's a hybrid (Croc III by MFK standards). It's really not difficult at all to identify them, if a person realizes that the two species will interbreed. The characteristics are reasonably consistent. I don't really think it's a conspiracy to keep listing hybrids as longnose, it's just that a lot of people will recognize that a gar isn't an alligator gar, and the more slender nose causes a default to the longnose listing. The 75 inch hybrid that I have mounted looks more like a longnose than gator gar, but the scales show the typical "crinkling" on about the upper half, and the snout is proportionally intermediate in length and width between the two species.
There is more being done with that than what you know.. Will leave at that but much focus has been placed on these over the past few years.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Is that the taxidermy of the recorded long nose? the belly look more like in gator gar than in any long nose I see, and the head is ... not long nose or gator.
I remember seeing some very big long nose in Athens, TX, is there any chance that they might be hybrid as well?

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
There is more being done with that than what you know.. Will leave at that but much focus has been placed on these over the past few years.
Well, I'd be interested to know...I wonder what percentage of the crossbreeds might be reproductively viable rather than sterile.......

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
S6300771x.jpg
Is that the taxidermy of the recorded long nose? the belly look more like in gator gar than in any long nose I see, and the head is ... not long nose or gator.
I remember seeing some very big long nose in Athens, TX, is there any chance that they might be hybrid as well?
Hung, that pic is of my hybrid mount, but the record fish looks just about exactly like that one. There are some monster long nose in the FFC in Athens, pretty much typical of the fat Trinity River and upper Sabine River populations. None of the ones I saw there were hybrids. They may be a different strain or subspecies than those found in other places, though. Here's a pic of a big female longnose, crowding six feet and over 55 pounds:

S6300771x.jpg

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
so far the biggest captive is 32 inches..keep going..
lol, sorry, we forgot what this tread is all about. I think there is some members on the site have gator gar over 3ft long.

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
I think the biggest one in the pond was 91 inches a year and a half ago, not sure how big it is now. At least one of the gar in the Bass Pro aquarium in Springfield is larger than that, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store