Why are people so butthurt over feeding live foods to pets?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
These are the vids I love! :popcorn:
I do too! I think it dates way back when i would put a nightcrawler on my hook and the sunfish or perch would nibble the worm apart till it couldn't resist that last morsel where the hook was. Then wham, i would Bill Dance the poor fish. Yea, pita would have a problem with me

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Most of the fish videos of live feedings seem to be the owner of said fish showing off how aggressive/dangerous there fish is. I dont get that? Are we to think you are a badass for owning a fish that can kill another smaller fish? I have no problem with nature, but to me, when someone makes a public spectacle of the feeding its alot like showing off

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It makes up for lacking in other areas. These guys think women will think they are a badass or cool, because they are feeding a fish trapped in a tank with something smaller. Badass is walking around mines in Iraq like I did, but I enjoy my 50 gallon peacefull community tank.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; many years ago a cautionary tale circulated about a teacher who had a field trip to a slaughter house. The tale went that it cost a job and that students were traumatized. As stated already, many of the people who protest such things still buy supermarket meat and consume burgers and fried chicken when they eat out. Disconnect, hypocrisy and being out of touch with reality are a few of the terms one might use to describe such an irrational viewpoint.

My family raised animals for food when I was a child. By the time I was six I was helping with getting food ready for our table. My jobs included building a fire under a large tub of water and getting up to a near boil (this was outdoors). Once the water was hot I would catch a hen or two from our backyard fenced in lot. I had to use a stump for the next part. Holding a hen by the legs on the stump and a quick chop with a small hatchet severed the head. I would let the chicken run around a bit or toss it under another tub. Mom would then dunk the chicken into the hot water. (Quite a smell from that) She would then remove the feathers. Somehow the hot water made that easier.

The chickens would then be part our next few meals. I tend to recall those being some of the best chickens I ever ate. Our hens were allowed to run free in the back lot and were a part of regular day to day life. We also had rabbits and my grandparents had pigs. My guess is that very few have such a childhood experience now. I think now that many who raise livestock around me in rural Tennessee truck the stock off to a slaughter house.

As an adult I never had a desire to farm or raise stock, but do not feel traumatized by my childhood experience. I think that experience and understanding the link between my food and how it gets to my table was a positive. Modern day livestock practice leaves me a bit cold as it has become an industrialized process.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well...the people posting the vids I would say are generally bragging...I personally love watching my fish eat live feeders, I think its interesting to watch them prep and strike. I wouldn't post it on the internet...its not THAT amazing haha. On the reverse of that, what cracks me up the most is the people who complain about cruelty either A) watched the vids knowing full well what was coming or B) searched out that type of video just to complain on it...blows my mind.

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
I don't feel the need to feed live, whether it's guppies golf fish or any animal doesn't mean they should slowly be killed and eaten. To each their own but I might be in a minority here but I don't think watching a fish or frog slowly getting chunks out by a pirana is "cool".

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I dislike seeing scenarios that wouldn't occur naturally. For example, an Oscar eating a goldfish will never ever happen in the wild, plus goldfish have poor nutritional value.

Conversely, if you could supply your Oscar with the fish it eats in its natural habitat, I'd be all for it.

To me it is pretty psychotic to derive pleasure from animals being killed, in any way shape or form really. Cometh at me Bros.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I don't feel the need to feed live, whether it's guppies golf fish or any animal doesn't mean they should slowly be killed and eaten. To each their own but I might be in a minority here but I don't think watching a fish or frog slowly getting chunks out by a pirana is "cool".
Dont own predators then lol ;)

not saying its "cool" to watch that happen, buuuuuut it happens in nature every day.
my catfish and pickerel both finish off feeders fast, there is no suffering.
piranhas...ya that might be a different story depending on the size of the prey animal.

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
I dislike seeing scenarios that wouldn't occur naturally. For example, an Oscar eating a goldfish will never ever happen in the wild, plus goldfish have poor nutritional value.

Conversely, if you could supply your Oscar with the fish it eats in its natural habitat, I'd be all for it.

To me it is pretty psychotic to derive pleasure from animals being killed, in any way shape or form really. Cometh at me Bros.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store