Why are people so butthurt over feeding live foods to pets?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I wonder how many of these people consider how many organisms were ground up into meal to create "humane" diet alternatives. Then again, there are also plenty of people that don't think we should have pets at all
THIS...so much this.

People who give the argument of live is a ticking time bomb for your fish and pellets are almost 100% safe drive me insane. Granted, from a biological standpoint, pellets are the safest method of feeding. They almost are 100% guaranteed to be free of microorganisms and fungi that live feeders can and often do carry. BUT I wonder how many people actually stop and think that to process a "healthy" pelletized form of food what companies have to add, what chemicals are used in the sterilization processes, and what additives that while may not cause an infection or spread a parasite can damage the fish in a different way. I can order grilled chicken at McDonalds, and while healthier than a fried alternative, still doesn't take out the carcinogenic chemicals used to process and store it.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Vegan? I had a run in with one of you a few decades ago at a Grateful Dead concert.

One of you actually approached me on the parking lot in with the psychotic B.S. while I was cooking burgers on the grill for our group.

They asked: "Do you eat your friends?"

I will save my response(s) to those vegan wimps. I have numerous vegetarian friends, and NONE of them have EVER felt the need to bust on my choice of meat to eat.

Say what you want. We are NOT the Psychos.

Humans are NOT herbivorous like these insane humans like to believe. We are omnivorous.

As an artist once wrote: "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
I love the agreement that meat is an unethical choice. Not like we were biologically designed to consume flesh. There is probably a reason most of our fish also have teeth and not just fleshy sucker mouths

FishareFriends2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Chicago Illinois
Yea I agree......society has created so many softies. It's "unethical"to feed your pets live foods but it's ok for us to eat animals that are crammed in small places and then slaughtered for our consumption? Give me a break.......some people are just ridiculous. I'm all for owners choosing what they want to feed their pets.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I wonder if these people that can't stand seeing fish eat other fish have every owned a freshly wild caught fish... perhaps an expensive one... you want to see it die instead of eating a rosy red minnow? everything has a place in the world. The cruel part is some of these things place is to be eaten. Best believe if you don't fees that rosy red in the pet store to your fish it's going to get eaten anyway.

That being said, watching anything suffer is not pleasant. I agree you shouldn't take sadistic pleasure in it, but seeing a bass gobble 2 dozen rosies in a matter of 30 seconds and being proud of owning a growing boy is different in my opinion, more satisfaction for your pet enjoying a good meal instead of happiness that it killed something.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Most the time people don't think before they press enter. Most people still have an inherent fear of being eaten alive just like all other animals. We empathize with the food being eaten and see being eaten ALIVE as unnecessarily cruel. I used to volunteer for Sonoma County Bird Rescue and it was a necessity to teach the ones we were going to release to eat live mice and rats. The others we would "bonk" the mice or rats on the head first which I saw as unusually cruel. The board would not buy a co2 tank so I bought one myself and donated it for humane euthanasia. Sometimes teenage boys have a gruesome fascination with the gore of live feeding being their brain is not fully developed and the portion associated with altruism, compassion, ethics and morals is is undeveloped. I would HATE to be the parent of a teenager. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is an interesting exercise. Imagine you are the goldfish. Then imagine meeting a hungry mountain lion while hiking. Then imagine you are the goldfish again. Feel any different? Like I said, most people don't think before pressing enter.

Glenn

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Clove oil is used to anesthetize and euthanize goldfish. Maybe before feeding the goldfish to the eating fish dose it with the tiniest amount of clove oil so it's slightly stunned? That way it's still moving around but no so aware that it's being eaten. Would that make you all more comfortable with live feeding of goldfish to other fish?

Glenn

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Most the time people don't think before they press enter. Most people still have an inherent fear of being eaten alive just like all other animals. We empathize with the food being eaten and see being eaten ALIVE as unnecessarily cruel. I used to volunteer for Sonoma County Bird Rescue and it was a necessity to teach the ones we were going to release to eat live mice and rats. The others we would "bonk" the mice or rats on the head first which I saw as unusually cruel. The board would not buy a co2 tank so I bought one myself and donated it for humane euthanasia. Sometimes teenage boys have a gruesome fascination with the gore of live feeding being their brain is not fully developed and the portion associated with altruism, compassion, ethics and morals is is undeveloped. I would HATE to be the parent of a teenager. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is an interesting exercise. Imagine you are the goldfish. Then imagine meeting a hungry mountain lion while hiking. Then imagine you are the goldfish again. Feel any different? Like I said, most people don't think before pressing enter.

Glenn
I really have zero sympathy for feeders, mice or goldfish. I view it as a necessary part of some of my bigger animal's lives. I feed my ferrets whole ground carcasses of rabbits, duck, chicken, turkey and sheep and surely don't mind the fact that an animal was killed so that my animals may eat.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
My question is why are people posting videos of one animal killing another one? I don't know what benefit it serves to see a snake eat a rat, a catfish swallow a pigeon, or an oscar swallow a goldfish.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy seeing wild life documentaries about the soon to be extinct polar bears or the soon to be extinct tigers or the soon to be extinct cheetahs. But those videos serve a purpose: to encourage people to understand, respect, love and ultimately to protect nature. I get exactly none of that by seeing a RTC chase a helpless fish and swallow it.

Maybe a lot of the negative posters are turned off by the apparent exhibitionism.
so agree... and very well explained

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store