Status
Not open for further replies.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
ehh, you said: Lol.

I can only assume from your quotes and "lol" that you are implying that there is an inconsistency between the quotes. There is not. I don't usually respond unless there is a sincere interest in an actual discussion, but just to clarify: For me, much of my interest in keeping fish is keeping them as well as I can (vs., for example, the aquascaping or watching them eat, or breeding, or whatever). I am similarly into gardening because I like having plants that thrive, though if I tire of a plant I will dig it up and give it away or throw it on the compost pile.

So that is one half of it.

The other half is that I try not to be hypocritical about this hobby; I try to be alert to the reality that we are all keeping fish in a necessarily poor proxy for a wild life (though one, granted, with less predation) for our own amusement. Which is fine. They're fish. I actually happen to have had catfish at a restaurant three nights ago...if you know what I mean.

I just find it interesting that people draw more or less arbitrary lines about what is the right/moral way to keep fish and what is not. And then they pat themselves on the back about it.

Anyway, you started with only two statements. One, you don't "get it" and two, you think it is "silly". All I am saying is I do get it, and I don't.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Actually, I also want to be clear that I certainly have no problem with ehh or anyone else who draws their own line. There are lots and lots of people (not on this site, obviously!) who would say "why do people keep fish at all? I just don't get it, I think it is silly", and even lots of people who think keep fish in captivity at all is unethical. And I would disagree with them, too.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
ehh, you said: Lol.

I can only assume from your quotes and "lol" that you are implying that there is an inconsistency between the quotes. There is not. I don't usually respond unless there is a sincere interest in an actual discussion, but just to clarify: For me, much of my interest in keeping fish is keeping them as well as I can (vs., for example, the aquascaping or watching them eat, or breeding, or whatever). I am similarly into gardening because I like having plants that thrive, though if I tire of a plant I will dig it up and give it away or throw it on the compost pile.

So that is one half of it.

The other half is that I try not to be hypocritical about this hobby; I try to be alert to the reality that we are all keeping fish in a necessarily poor proxy for a wild life (though one, granted, with less predation) for our own amusement. Which is fine. They're fish. I actually happen to have had catfish at a restaurant three nights ago...if you know what I mean.

I just find it interesting that people draw more or less arbitrary lines about what is the right/moral way to keep fish and what is not. And then they pat themselves on the back about it.

Anyway, you started with only two statements. One, you don't "get it" and two, you think it is "silly". All I am saying is I do get it, and I don't.
Well stated !!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
jlnguyen and Simcan pretty much summed up my feelings on this subject.

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
It is a couple things...

1. Optimism- Some people really think they will just upgrade as a fish grows without fully understanding the cost of such things, the space, ect. They see someone else do it and assume they will be able to do it too.

2. The Internet and sites like this.

People naturally want to impress other people. They want to be the ones on here with 100 replies of "THAT IS AWESOME!"

And the easiest way to do that is to get fish that sites like this call awesome. And a lot of times, those fish getting freaking huge.

So, people look at this 50, 90, 180 gallon, call it a "grow out," go buy their RTC, TSN, Aro, ect, post a thread "LOOK AT MY NEW FISH," people ooh and awe, and when someone says "they will outgrow that in 6 months," they just say "well I plan to upgrade" and everyone moves on and the initial person gets the reaction they wanted.

Sadly, a lot of people do things to impress the internet for numerous hobbies and fish keeping is one of them. It is easy to fall into the trap, but once you stop trying to impress people and just keep fish you actually enjoy... the hobby becomes much more rewarding. But many do not reach that point.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I personally love Clown Knife fish, i have a 190 gallon tank, and i know it wouldn't have a good life in the long run, but for a couple of years it could do fine and only reason i didn't do it, because I couldn't think of any good algae eaters that would be safe to keep with it and still be able to have plants, besides large plecos (and they crap more than they clean and would probably eat the plants..)

But there are lots of people all over the world that have large tanks that could hold large fish and some of them would probably like to add adult fish to a current stock, rather to get a small one that would be eaten, espescially if its a well established tank and they lose a fish to age or whatever and wants to replace it.

Now why people can have children without a license or a permit of somesort, is something i don't get.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
It's like dating someone way out of your league. Fun while it lasts for you, but if they get stuck with you they'll die miserable.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I personally love Clown Knife fish, i have a 190 gallon tank, and i know it wouldn't have a good life in the long run, but for a couple of years it could do fine and only reason i didn't do it, because I couldn't think of any good algae eaters that would be safe to keep with it and still be able to have plants, besides large plecos (and they crap more than they clean and would probably eat the plants..)

But there are lots of people all over the world that have large tanks that could hold large fish and some of them would probably like to add adult fish to a current stock, rather to get a small one that would be eaten, espescially if its a well established tank and they lose a fish to age or whatever and wants to replace it.

Now why people can have children without a license or a permit of somesort, is something i don't get.
Some kinds of snails are great algae solutions and though I have not kept Clowns I am guessing they would not have much or any interest.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Forgot about snails! Well, to late now, I'm satisfied with my angel community tank at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store