Why goldfish are cool - a visual primer.

That first link, I must say is one BUTT ugly tank. I cant imagin how noisy that is aswell.. Yes that is a cool goldfish and if you into them sweet. This is clearly a show gold fish... Plus gold fish are lie k5 cents a fish... If you want to keep them you have the cheapest fish ever and are lucky... But as they are bred to be food, im positive they will stay food. Also aslong as they are priced as food I will use them as food.

ummm... ok. we'll agree to disagree.

See now I'm the opposite... never was a fan of fancies, but I love the sleek, classic, heavy-bodied look of a robust adult Comet-type Goldfish. You cant look at a footlong Goldfish and not find it impressive. If they werent the stereotypical "bowl" fish, and hadnt been bred as they were, and they were just as uncommon as some of the Asian Barbs that people pay tons of money for... they'd be a hot import fish and people would be coming on here to boast about their new Goldfish pickups from some MFK vendor. :grinno:
I have a Shubunkin that is approaching a foot long. I know what you mean. :)

See now I'm the opposite... never was a fan of fancies, but I love the sleek, classic, heavy-bodied look of a robust adult Comet-type Goldfish. You cant look at a footlong Goldfish and not find it impressive. If they werent the stereotypical "bowl" fish, and hadnt been bred as they were, and they were just as uncommon as some of the Asian Barbs that people pay tons of money for... they'd be a hot import fish and people would be coming on here to boast about their new Goldfish pickups from some MFK vendor. :grinno:
Fancies can grow on you. They are the pug of the fish world :)

frickr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Mitchell, SD
no fish have made me smile as much as my 2 black moors, they are just funny in their goofiness. fancys do have alot of personality to them more so then some cichlids i have.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
What is cool about goldfish is their tangerine color and the fact that they never hide. Unlike big bad cichlids grammodes come to mind. That thing hid all the time until you added some dithers and he chased them and killed them and then went back into hiding. Jags and dempseys hide all the time also. I prefer my large redhooks and cigar sharks but goldies would be next in line. If goldfish were all that was available to fish keepers I guess my tank would have a few big ones.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Ive kept a lot if exotic tropicals over the years but I'll always appreciate goldfish.

The graceful yet xlumbsy swimming, the over the top fins, the history behind them.

A high quality one is very rare in the u.s.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Very nice oranda in the video, I would have used larger filters and less of them but it works. I also like the calico ranchu in the other tank, I have been looking for nice ranchu and I don't want to drop $85+ on one that size (and that would be a deal at $85). People think of goldfish as cheap fish, but the quality ones go for big money.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Goldfish just never did it for me, and honestly, most likely never will... thought maybe this thread might change my mind a little, but nope... still feel the same way...

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
Aha... well, can't hate on him for loving gold fish. I guess he is really into it, with all that money and space for a..goldfish. But I am not looking down, so props for him too give so much effort for that fish.

However, I think not just goldfish...all live feeders should be used wisely... not only for the feeder's sake, but also for your fishes sake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store