Why haven't Coldwater species have been popularized yet?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This is just a good conversation IMO. No one is getting nasty so it's all good. I've kept Pickerel (chain), Rock Bass, Bullheads, LMB. Sunnys (various) all collected locally. I like natives and might keep them again. No heat required and definitely cheaper (free is always good). I've even seen them pop up on on line vendor sites but if there not local to your area their no longer native. To me native means they live where you live. Hell if I lived on the Rio Negro my Altums would be natives. North American species and native shouldn't be used interchangeably is my point. So I don't want to mix apples and oranges.
Good point, even I, living in PA, will admit the majority of Cyprinids and darters from Tennesee and Georgia are more colorful than the majority ​of fish from my area.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
No need to lock at all
...this is what the op started the thread for....a discussion.

Nothing wrong with loving your fish but ya gotta understand others opinions. I still want a dollar sunfish but chose a paradise for my daughter instead. Your actually doing to tropicals what you say most people do to natives. Your cutteris had no personality which isnt surprising now you feel natives have more personality than cichlids...

i have an argentea that has 0 personality, is mean and absolutly beautiful....differemt degrees of what attracts people to different fish.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Just individual experiences i suppose, and individual fish. There might be a sunfish with more personality than a cichlid, and a cichlid with more than a sunfish. Intelligent and closely related species like cichlids and Centrarchids very much have individual personalities more than Cyprinids and characins where the individuals have a less variable personality.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I never understood why people don't keep natives in their koi ponds.
Me too. Again, this is just my personal taste, but if someone gave me a 1,000 gallon pond to do whatever I wanted with it, I'd fill it with dozens of species of small sunfish, shiners, dace, minnows, darters, and madtoms.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Maybe its the profile of the fish. Tall an thinner than koi. I love viejas but dont think i would enjoy viewing them from over head looking down.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
I think no one knows. Either you go all native/local/wild or all koi/goldfish. I personally like wild color variants more than human-made. That's just my opinion.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Channel cats are native. They're commonly kept as trash cans for koi.
Orfe are also kept in ponds.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
I love natives! I think some of the reasons more people don't keep NA natives are. 1) The lack of natives being sold in the trade. 2) When mentioned,a lot of people think of the more popular sportfish. That get very large and are less colorful than the less common species. 3) They may think you need a chiller(not true with most species). 4) Don't know how or where to buy/catch the smaller more colorful species. 5) Prefer something from some far away place that they may never go and see the fish in their natural habitat. 6) Some think native fish mean nasty dirty water in their tanks. This come from seeing some of the muddy and stain waterways they come from.

After 26 years in this hobby I have kept over 200 species of fish from all over this planet. I not going to say one continents fish are better than another( even though North America has the better fish...lol). But I will be one of the first to post a picture of some sunfish or one of the 150 or so darter species when someone says that NA fish are are not colorful. I am not going to shove NA native fish down someone throat but will bring to their attention some beautiful species.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store