Widebar Question

EKen53

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2007
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JD7.62;1804182; said:
cichlaguapote, PM sent.

T1, again the reason is money. Man, if I could sell 10,000 1" STs for $100 a pop I wouldnt hesitate to drop the $5000 Id need to get started right now! There is just no way they would sell for that kind of money. There simply isnt enough demand. I could probably sell 1000 for that price if Im lucky.
What countrys are you referring to when you say demand is not there? You do know that in Asia, almost every LFS is out of stock, same here over Canada.

STs can go now for over 1500$ in Japan. I can tell you that in Asia, demand for quality STs is almost equal to Arowana demand.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
The demand in the U.S. is VERY low and Im not sure about other countries, but I do assume a bit higher because the hobby is bigger over in Asia and in some Euro countries. But compared to fish that are massed produced, there is not a demand for them or they would be mass produced!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
you are making me LOL now their is a big enought market for them to breed asian aros on a massive scale but not good grade ST

you must be crazy what is the main fish people want to keep with their asian aros i think you will find its ST in most cases multi ST to one aro you do the math

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Then tell me why they can breed BPxFH, RTCxTSN, RTCxparoon but can't breed STs?! You dont actually think the above fish are breeding naturally in farm ponds do you?! lol

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
JD7.62;1804282; said:
Then tell me why they can breed BPxFH, RTCxTSN, RTCxparoon but can't breed STs?! You dont actually think the above fish are breeding naturally in farm ponds do you?! lol
if it was that simple no fish would ever be hard to find you would have loads of blue eyed panaqes

if what you are saying is true then why would they waste time and money breeding parrot flower horns and hybrid rubbish and not focus on breeding pure strain fish in the same way

the ST shortage has been hear for well over 1.5yrs now if it was as easy as you say then we would have seen ST buy now

if you think that they are being breed then were are they

if they are being hormone bred then they should no be let lose into the wild anyway so the only place to sell them would be the fish trade

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Thailand has banned export. My speculation is, the institutions doing the breeding are not going to risk smuggling out a few!

In the U.S. hormone fish are let loose all the time! What is your experience with hatcheries? How come around the world the vast vast majority of fish hatcheries are NOT for ornamental purposes?

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
What are the names of these "institutions"? Surely if they are breeding these in hopes to revitalize a wild stock that is dwindling then they would want there name out there so they can get donations and what not for this cause.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I dont know, that is why I said I was speculating. My guess it's a university working with their govt and that is why there is no smuggling or much info on our (fish keeping) side of things because it is not important to them.

I have spent hours going through many different scientific journal databases and sadly I have yet to come up with anything in English about these fish. The articles stickied at top have very little information in them even!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store