MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Fish are not just fish when it comes to nutrition.
Otherwise we'd be feeding our algaevore plecos the same foods as our piscivores. Not all piscivores are the same either, and in fact pirahanas may have specialized nutrition requirements compared to north american gar.

The thiamanase debate really has nothing to do with live vs non, since frozen foods can also be high in thiamanase. And while pellets may be safer on this account, and also contain vitamin supplements many gar won't accept them and the best you can hope for is to gut load your feeders, or stick some in their frozen foods.

I was talking about piranhas since the article related to them, they are similiar fish with similiar diets, both carnivorous and predators.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I've already stated how I care for my feeders and fish in general. If you're going to be idiotic about the situation then so be it. I will now take my intelligence else where. :)

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Intelligence? You won't even read and your the one who went off on me first, EVEN tho I specified if you properly care for your feeders I.e breed/quarintine its not a problem.

Just saying you don't HAVE to feed goldfish.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Ok lol, not angry just stating my point. As long ad you have some type of varied diet I think you're all good to go! :)

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Keep feeding ur fish unquarentined and unhealthy feeders from ur lfs. I'll be waiting for you rip thread.

If your gonna feed feeders breed ur own or quarentine for a month....simple....

And yes if you feed ONLY gold fish it WILL stunt its growth. Very common knowledge. Mr winkle is a smart fk

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8
I've raised countless gars on a primarily feeder diet for the first year. And have never had any problems from this. This list of gars includes 6 cubans, 2 gators, 30+ floridas. As well as countless other predatory fish species. I know there is a risk of parasites etc from feeding feeders but in my own experience it is rare. I would like to point out that all fish are eventually converted over to fresh/frozen and pellets.

Perhaps if you keep having illnesses related to feeding feeders you should reexamine your husbandry practices and see if something else might be a contributing factor.

Goldfish don't stunt growth, inappropriate husbandry techniques stunt growth. I've seen many monster sized fish grown on priarily goldfish dets. I've also seen undersized stunted fish on prepared food diets.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to learn and better ur fishes life and health..... But its your fish so good luck!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/feeder.php

http://www.firsttankguide.net/feederfish.php

I understand the necessity for a fatty diet, but their are other ways. From the beginning I said quarentine or breed ur own.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8
A fatty diet is the last thing you want in most cases. An obese fish is not a healthy fish. As well the whole thiaminase debate when talking about feeder goldfish is silly. Thiaminase is found in many types of foods. I don't see you yelling at people that feed primarily shrimp, but that contains thiaminase as well.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I've raised countless gars on a primarily feeder diet for the first year. And have never had any problems from this. This list of gars includes 6 cubans, 2 gators, 30+ floridas. As well as countless other predatory fish species. I know there is a risk of parasites etc from feeding feeders but in my own experience it is rare. I would like to point out that all fish are eventually converted over to fresh/frozen and pellets.

Perhaps if you keep having illnesses related to feeding feeders you should reexamine your husbandry practices and see if something else might be a contributing factor.

Goldfish don't stunt growth, inappropriate husbandry techniques stunt growth. I've seen many monster sized fish grown on priarily goldfish dets. I've also seen undersized stunted fish on prepared food diets.

A fatty diet is the last thing you want in most cases. An obese fish is not a healthy fish. As well the whole thiaminase debate when talking about feeder goldfish is silly. Thiaminase is found in many types of foods. I don't see you yelling at people that feed primarily shrimp, but that contains thiaminase as well.
Your a little late to the party.

All I meant was unquarintined feeders are a risk, unless u breed ur own. Goldfish are like a very bad snack, and overtime they MAY cause problems, we may be talking years, who knows. If you switch yours over to pellets and fish that is 100% perfect imo. Shrimp contains much less then goldfish, you need to feed Atleast 4-5 goldfish to equal 1 avg sized shrimp, and shrimp has 0 chance of parasites.

Not sure who ur referring to about feeding bad feeders, but I don't. There are some many other healthy option for MY particular fish, obviously gars are different, I just don't want noobs coming here and dropping a dozen lfs goldfish in their gar tank scrutiny other day and thinking that's okay long term.

I appreciate ur input tho pharm, we've already worked this out.

Oh and I never yelled at anyone ;)

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Your a little late to the party.

All I meant was unquarintined feeders are a risk, unless u breed ur own. Goldfish are like a very bad snack, and overtime they MAY cause problems, we may be talking years, who knows. If you switch yours over to pellets and fish that is 100% perfect imo. Shrimp contains much less then goldfish, you need to feed Atleast 4-5 goldfish to equal 1 avg sized shrimp, and shrimp has 0 chance of parasites.

Not sure who ur referring to about feeding bad feeders, but I don't. There are some many other healthy option for MY particular fish, obviously gars are different, I just don't want noobs coming here and dropping a dozen lfs goldfish in their gar tank scrutiny other day and thinking that's okay long term.

I appreciate ur input tho pharm, we've already worked this out.

Oh and I never yelled at anyone ;)

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

I don't feel I'm late to the party. When people in the past have asked about feeding feeders to their gars you have given bad advice. If the gar is a yoy gar under 6-8" tossing feeders in would be the appropriate way to feed them until they get to a size where they are more stable to be weaned onto other food items.

Obviously there are healthyier items for fish. but feeders have their place in gar husbandry techniques.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Yes I did once say that, in all fairness I didn't want these people just tossing in fresh unquarintined lfs feeders, if your lfs is anything like mine, your better walking out the door instead of making a purchase.

I'm simply stating there are many other healthy ways of doing things. And yes you are late, you got here when I already woke up with a hangover, my front door was wide open this morning and my gf still has a headache.... Lol

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store