Will my spotted gar be ok?

ksmith088

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well it has been 3 days and no improvement. He lays on his side and can only move his front fins which tells me he is most likely paralyzed. He breathes heavily on his side but is clearly still alive and seems not to be suffering. Do I keep letting him live his days out or do I euthanize him somehow? I just dont think I can do much more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1358790637964.jpg

ksmith088

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Pittsburgh
If anyone has any experience with clove oil I would appreciate it. I have read alot but not sure of the dosing for such a big fish. Around 10 drops/gal is what I am understanding to put him asleep then 5-6x that to be fatal. Should this be enough?

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
If he's lasted this long and no one is picking on him give him a little more time. You never know there is still a chance of recovery.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ksmith088

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ok. The only problem he has no desire to try and eat and i have not seen him move his body this whole time...he just shakes his head extremely fast which i hope isnt a sign of pain...he cant keep himself balanced at all and just falls to the bottom on his back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Sorry about your fish. Freezing them is another humane way I have heard to put them down.

Reechardd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2012
Alaska
If you have a spare tank transfer him , set up a heater and fill the tank about half way of maybe a quarter size ,not to low but low enough for him to get air , add salt and just add small rosys reds or 1 or 2 gold fishes . Not to many . Mine healed up fine after a week or so ! Give it time!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

connolly

Feeder Fish
Oct 27, 2005
essex England
Hi mate I've got a gar that done the same thing as yours mine was about 20 inch he hit the side of tank one night and found him laying on the bottom of the tank in the morning. I went throw the same as u did not no weather to end it or not but decided to leave him it took 3 weeks for him to start swimming again. all he down in this time was lay on his back and flip every now and then.now 6 weeks later he's back up and swimming around and feeding.
So if I was u I would really give him a chance mate before u do anything u regret mate.

ksmith088

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ok I think I will keep allowing it to heal. He just shows no body movement or anything. Would it be best to put him in a separate tank? If you guys have had miracle stories of them healing then I would feel horrible putting him down. He hasn't even showed signs of ability to open his mouth or to even chase a fish around to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store