Will my spotted gar be ok?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
if it has not shown any improvements by now it wont. just do the deed and move on. it sucks but it has to be done. it will just slowly die it most likely broke its back.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
imo a shallow tank, and try and keep him upright.. he needs to be able to breath air as well as breath in the tank. the problem is the stress.. gar can go a long time w/out eating when adults. I actually disagree... if the fish was going to die from its injuries it would have succumbed already... as for the back healing properly its hard to say, once the swelling goes down you will know if its capable of swimming on its own again, but that could take weeks or even monthes depending on how severely it was inflamed/damaged. my FLG had a similar instance not as severe but it took a few weeks before he came around compleately, and looking at him now you'de never guess. I'm guessing the paralisis is from the inflamation and not neccisarily the initial accident as he was "ok" right afterwards.

idk if you can give anti-inflammitorys to fish.. but it would be something I would look at.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
imo a shallow tank, and try and keep him upright.. he needs to be able to breath air as well as breath in the tank. the problem is the stress.. gar can go a long time w/out eating when adults. I actually disagree... if the fish was going to die from its injuries it would have succumbed already... as for the back healing properly its hard to say, once the swelling goes down you will know if its capable of swimming on its own again, but that could take weeks or even monthes depending on how severely it was inflamed/damaged. my FLG had a similar instance not as severe but it took a few weeks before he came around compleately, and looking at him now you'de never guess. I'm guessing the paralisis is from the inflamation and not neccisarily the initial accident as he was "ok" right afterwards.

idk if you can give anti-inflammitorys to fish.. but it would be something I would look at.
i disagree with the fact that if it would die from it it would have. one of my lng that bloated up actually took a month to die. it "unbloated" and never could keep its balence. it was stuck on the bottom just like the op was saying. everything i tried to help it was futile. granted it got started from a different injury. if it cant open its mouth and cant swim it cant breath surface air no matter how low the water is. as to my broken back thoughts. it does the head shake. it could have done that during the night and hit the tank wall. the head shake could still be going on because the nerves are damaged and cause it to feel like something is on its jaws.

ksmith088

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Pittsburgh
He does come up for air when I pull him up and you can see his head movement in the video. The inflammation is a good theory based on the fact he was fine for 2 days after the initial hit.
[video=youtube;yfPMSiY7qPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPMSiY7qPM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
From the movie it appears hes haveing a hard time breathing... the shallow tank imo is his best bet. imo/ime any animal with the will to fight for survival is worth giving that chance.. Scott I actually agree with you to a point.. if the OP had said the fish had showed no signs of being able to move post injury immediately or after I would agree with you. The fish i see in the movie imo is worth trying to save, he has alot of fight and is obviousely not giveing up.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i would filter shallow water with a sponge filter.

imo that lump behind the head is the brake. it had no movment of anything behind that point. the movement i saw was typical of a fish with a broke spine trying to right itself. did it have alot of fight, yes. problem is unless your going to make a float harness and spoon feed it i dont think it will recoop. if you want to try go for it, worst case it doesnt make it. i had a florida do the same thing. before i got to make that choice to dispatch it or not, my trop ate it. that was the second of the trop killing spree. i think the trop saw it was weak and capitalized on it. (it was the gar that disappeared). like i said i dont see a future for this fish, even though it was a great patterned fish. that my opion and advise if you want to try, worst case it dies, witch if you mercy kill it now it dies so you really have nothing to loose by trying other the the fish having a prolonged death. your call.

ksmith088

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ok well I think I'm going to pick up a 2 ft long tank tomm(is that big enough?). Just not sure how high to fill it or proper filter to use. I have a spare marineland emperor 280 but that is it. I want to at least give him a try cause he has always been one of my favorites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store